incubator-ooo-dev mailing list archives

From "Keith N. McKenna" <keith.mcke...@comcast.net>
Subject Re: Extension downloading problem
Date Fri, 24 Aug 2012 14:48:52 GMT
Rory O'Farrell wrote:
> On Fri, 24 Aug 2012 15:17:57 +0100
> Rory O'Farrell <ofarrwrk@iol.ie> wrote:
>
>> On Fri, 24 Aug 2012 16:12:58 +0200
>> Joost Andrae <Joost.Andrae@gmx.de> wrote:
>>
>>> Hi,
>>>
>>> I just checked the Writer2Epub v1.1.7 extension on the extension site.
>>> The extension downloads correctly with oxt file extension.
>>>
>>> It is correct that from technical view an oxt file is a zip archive
>>> containing all content needed to install as an extension into Apache

 Today there was this report
with various folders containing all kinds of files is downloaded. Nothing that looks like
an installer. How do I install this extension? When a program is offered to me in the shape
of a zip file full of different files, I never know what to do with it, to be honest."

IE in some versions, there may be others) rename the OpenOffice extensions silently to type
.zip.

me the following additional comment
shape of a zip file. Now I've renamed them both and they both snapped into being .oxt files.
Perhaps this trick should be mentioned on the Extensions "Introductory Page"? It must be a
problem for many users."

 But in the meantime I think his suggestion of a mention of this problem on the Extensions
page is valid and worthwhile.

>>> Kind regards, Joost
>>>

>> I am certain the download page is correct as to the extension.  The change to zip
seems to depend on the browser in use.  I know that some earlier version of IE did this, without
notification. When I get further information I'll post it to this thread.  Most of the active
members of this list will use a browser of choice rather than a default browser, and will
also update it, so won't be aware of this problem with some older browser.

>> --
>> Rory O'Farrell <ofarrwrk@iol.ie>
>>

> I understand that this problem comes from IE8.

I just tried using ie8 to download Writer2epub along with a random
sample of other extensions. I can confirm that it does indeed change the
extension to zip. I second Rory's suggestion that a notice be put on the
page to that effect along with instructions to rename it to .oxt after
download.

Regards
Keith