incubator-ooo-dev mailing list archives

From Joost Andrae <Joost.And...@gmx.de>
Subject Re: Extension downloading problem
Date Fri, 24 Aug 2012 14:12:58 GMT
Hi,

I just checked the Writer2Epub v1.1.7 extension on the extension site.
The extension downloads correctly with oxt file extension.

It is correct that from technical view an oxt file is a zip archive
containing all content needed to install as an extension into Apache
OpenOffice.

Am 24.08.2012 15:00, schrieb Rory O'Farrell:
> On the en-Forum I have seen a number of reports of downloading problems.  Today there
was this report
> " I tried to download and install the ePub 1.1.17 extension. A zip file filled with various
folders containing all kinds of files is downloaded. Nothing that looks like an installer.
How do I install this extension? When a program is offered to me in the shape of a zip file
full of different files, I never know what to do with it, to be honest."

> I suggested this might be a browser problem, as some browsers (definitely IE in some
versions, there may be others) rename the OpenOffice extensions silently to type .zip.

> The user renamed the .zip to .oxt and it installed correctly.  He then send me the following
additional comment
> "Thanks! I download the Dutch Spelling Checker and it also arrived in the shape of a
zip file. Now I've renamed them both and they both snapped into being .oxt files. Perhaps
this trick should be mentioned on the Extensions "Introductory Page"? It must be a problem
for many users."

> I have asked what browser he is using and will post that detail when available.  But
in the meantime I think his suggestion of a mention of this problem on the Extensions page
is valid and worthwhile.

Kind regards, Joost