incubator-ooo-dev mailing list archives

From "Keith N. McKenna" <keith.mcke...@comcast.net>
Subject Re: What to say in AOO 3.4.1 release announcement about the ports? (BSD, Solaris, OS/2)?
Date Sat, 18 Aug 2012 04:38:13 GMT
Marcus (OOo) wrote:
> Am 08/02/2012 02:12 AM, schrieb Rob Weir:

>>> hmmm - well, I'm just getting around to looking at things for this
>>> evening.
>>>
>>> Looking at the page(s) now... *chuckling*..
>>>
>>> This might not be the right place for what I thought was the task - a
>>> list of existing known ports which are not part of the official AOO
>>> release regiment.
>>>
>>> The porting page and it's associated pages seem more about the act of
>>> creating a port, with
>>>
>>> http://www.openoffice.org/porting/porting_overview.html
>>>
>>> and
>>> http://www.openoffice.org/porting/porting_implement.html
>>>
>>> which starts off by pointing to this page:
>>> http://wiki.services.openoffice.org/wiki/Porting_Efforts
>>>
>>> and that offers links to places such as
>>> http://www.openoffice.org/udk/cpp/man/cpp_bridges.html
>>>

>>> So do we really want a page for listing existing non-official ports that
>>> are known, a simple information service for our users without and
>>> explicitly stating such, endorsing the work - or do we want a resource
>>> for those wanting to perform a port to a new platform - for the
>>> announcement(s) that is.
>>>

>> Yes. ;-)
>>
>> Maybe the existing porting page remains as a developer-focused page?
>> It needs to be updated, of course, but maybe not as urgent.
>>
>> Then we also need a user-facing page about existing ports.  Maybe that
>> could be a new page in the /download directory?
>
> There is already a page which points to 3rd party software / packages:
>
> http://www.openoffice.org/download/non_ASF.html
>
> Kay has created this to compensate the old distribution webpage which
> was totally outdated.
>
> So, what about to extend this new page with a "Ports" section from
> FreeBSD, Solaris, OS/2 and others?
>
>> For the announcement the user-facing one would be the most
>> appropriate, yes?
>
> I think so.
>
> Marcus

Morning All;

Just checking in on this thread to see if there has been any consensus
on how we should do this or if we should. As we are fast approaching
release of 3.4.1 I would like to get this into the Release Notes.

As a stated bore I believe that it is important to get the information
out that these operating systems are not forgotten and that Apache
OpenOffice is available.

Regards
Keith