incubator-ooo-dev mailing list archives

From Armin Le Grand <Armin.Le.Gr...@me.com>
Subject Re: Quickstarter
Date Fri, 10 Aug 2012 15:19:19 GMT
	Hi,

On 09.08.2012 09:38, Andre Fischer wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I am currently testing a fix for showstopper bug 120476.  I am doing
> this on a 64 bit Ubuntu 12.04 (building install sets is an order of
> magnitude faster than on windows.)  During that I observed a hang when
> closing the office.  It is caused by the quickstarter: starting
> OpenOffice with the command line option -quickstart=no lets me close the
> office cleanly.
>
> Now my question: did we activate the quickstarter on Linux on purpose?
> If so, we may have a small problem at least on Ubuntu 12.04 and probably
> on any Linux that uses a GTK based UI that is not Gnome-2: I have no
> quickstarter button anywhere on the screen, that would a) indicate that
> the quickstarter is active and that b) would allow me to deactivate it.
>
> Regards,
> Andre

Uhh, sounds like lots of system-dependent problems, even
distrubution-dependent and desktop-manager dependent, and there,
version-dependent probably.

I want to remind on the 'Should quickstarter be enabled or disabled by
default?' discussion where we also discussed to completely remove it.

When it seems that the only advantage is on windows and for starting AOO
after reboot and during the first (3-5) minutes I want to repeat the
suggestion to remove it.

It's a problem that should be left to the instance which could best
solve it: The systems which get smarter and faster every day.

Of course we should also do what is possible to make the first start
experience better, but as Joost hinted in the discussion, there may be
better possibilities today for the windows case; maybe the quickstart
solution (whic was done when first startup took between 30-45 seconds)
is not the best anymore.

(I also remember to have heard that Mozilla solves the problem by
linking all libs to a single executable, is that true? Nothing I want to
suggest, just curious.)

As can be seen, it has costs to keep it; we need people with
system-specific knowledge and knowledge about quickstarter to keep it
alive and to fix bugs there.

Just my 2 cent...

Sincerely,
	Armin