incubator-ooo-dev mailing list archives

From Armin Le Grand <Armin.Le.Gr...@me.com>
Subject Re: Definition of draw:angle in ODF1.2 does not fit to implementation
Date Thu, 02 Aug 2012 09:20:51 GMT
	Hi Dennis (and others),

On 01.08.2012 20:38, Dennis E. Hamilton wrote:
> Hi Armin,
>
> Thanks for your valuable comment.
>
> I had thought that the description using "clockwise" was in reference to the page appearance
and not the abstract treatment (with "right-hand rule").  Perhaps I misunderstand where the
origin is understood in the projection onto the page.

I do not think that you misunderstand. The X-Axis points to the right,
the Y-Axis down, the origin is top-left (pretty standard, expected by
everyone). Thus, mathematically, the positive orientation of angles goes
clockwise.

Unfortunately someone did define it 'mirrored' in the cores for
StarOffice (maybe more than 15 years ago), is used in the UI and this
was copied to the UNO API and the ODF format for all angles (independent
from usage for gradients or objects). This is not based on using the 2nd
possible coordinate system with Y-Axis pointing up, but simply by using
the 'wrong' (mirrored) values for angles throughout the office consequently.

> MORE IMPORTANT CONCERN
>
> I think you raise a more important question concerning changing for ODF 1.3 and understanding
a transformation between ODF 1.0/1.1/1.2/IS 26300 and ODF 1.3.

> I recommend that there be no breaking change of draw:angle between ODF versions.  It
is probably best to deprecate it while clarifying the orientation of the angle-opening rotation
and the units of the angle.  I think preventing down-level breakage is impossible without
that and the support explanations will be a nightmare otherwise.  It seems to me that the
ODF 1.2 description is best corrected in an Errata and the problem made immediately known
in an OIC Advisory.

My first idea was to define the orientation (is not really defined now)
for ODF1.2 and older, and to define it mirrored for ODF1.3, applying a
xslt transformation to manage that.

You are right that for all products not immediately applying to this
change rotations would break. This would speak for adding a new property.

> To correct the geometry for transformations, I suggest that another, rigorously-defined
gradient element be introduced, preferably one from SVG.

Transformations are okay and need no change, they contain the angle
corresponding to the coordinate system.

As Michael Stahl wrote, svg:linearGradient and svg:radialGradient are
already part of ODF1.2.

These are no replacement for draw:gradient, thus are no candidates for
deprecating the draw:gradient (and draw:opacity, the transparence
gradients) for ODF1.3. It is another kind of gradient with the pros and
cons described by Michael Stahl.

(BTW: What to do if an object has draw:gradient AND svg:linearGradient
defined at the same time (or even more, add svg:radialGradient)...?).

We should not mix up varios themes here (maybe I started doing so, I
apologize). We have two things here:

(a) Non-SVG Gradient definitions (old ones)
(b) Angle definitions in various places

There is no general problem with (a), except the contained angle and
it's orientation. Thus I talk more about (b) where (b) is about the old
gradients with use <draw:angle> currently, but also start/end angles in
circle/ellipse shapes.

The Object rotation does not have a direct and single rotation attribute
(AFAIK, there is svg:x, svg:y, svg:width/height, but no svg:angle), but
has to use (and does use) a transformation when rotation is needed
(which uses angles correctly, no problem there).

Using a 2nd 'rigorously-defined' angle would be sufficient here. As
mentioned in earlier mails, SVG has <angle> as basic data type (see SVG
4.2). It is already listed in ODF 1.2, see 18.3.1 of ODF spec (Does this
mean it could already be used?). It is even referenced as data type in
draw:angle, draw:start-angle and draw:end-angle (!), see e.g. 19.112
draw:angle in ODF1.2 which says: 'The draw:angle attribute has the data
type angle 18.3.1'. When this would be true, draw:angle would not even
be needed since it's identical to svg:angle already (which it is not,
another error?).

Thus I suggest allowing both in <draw:gradient> and <draw:opacity>, with

---

<draw:angle> is the inverted rotation in 10th of a degree as integer
value (no longer reference 18.3.1 and say it's equal).

<svg:angle> is the rotation as defined by SVG (including being float and
supporting deg, rad and grad).

If <svg:angle> is present, it has precedence over <draw:angle>. For
compatibility, please support both when creating ODF documents.

---

Other candidates wit this problem are (not sure when marked with '?'):

19.140 draw:end-angle
19.213 draw:start-angle

19.226 draw:text-rotate-angle (?)
20.95 draw:caption-angle (?)
20.339 style:rotation-angle (?)
20.375 style:text-rotation-angle (?)

> If there is a down-level concern, I would define the new element such that, when it and
<draw:gradient> are both present, the new element pre-empts <draw:gradient> in
ODF 1.3 and beyond.  This way, a down-level implementation will presumably process the <draw:gradient>
and ignore the element introduced in ODF 1.3, since it is not defined down-level.

We can use the SVG <angle> basic data type, no need for an own, new
definition.

> Would that break the knot better?

Yes, I think so.

>   - Dennis

the page, this appears to be clockwise because the origin tends to be in the upper left corner
and the positive-Y direction is downward, the positve-X direction is rightward.)