incubator-ooo-dev mailing list archives

From Armin Le Grand <Armin.Le.Gr...@me.com>
Subject Re: Definition of draw:angle in ODF1.2 does not fit to implementation
Date Wed, 01 Aug 2012 09:21:15 GMT
	Hi Dennis,

On 30.07.2012 22:21, Dennis E. Hamilton wrote:
> There appear to be three considerations:
>
>   1. What is type and unit of draw:angle in the <draw:gradient> element?
>      In ODF 1.0, ODF 1.1, and ISO/IEC 26300:2006 (now aligned with ODF 1.1), the type
is integer and there is no explanation of the scale of the unit.  ODF 1.2 gives special attention
to the integer case and observes that the unitless integer is all that works for down-level
compatibility with ODF 1.1 consumers.

>      If it is to be decreed that all/most implementations are correct and the specification
has been left incorrect since 2005, that is a very difficult situation.  I assume the correct
statement is that the unit for draw:angle is 0.1 degree.

>   2. Orientation?
>      The orientation leaves much to be described, since it is a vector that is rotated,
not an axis.  It appears that practice and what little is said in the specifications satisfy
standard geometric practice, as follows:

>      a. Consider a vector that lies along the X axis with orientation in the positive-X
direction.
>      b. A positive rotation of that vector by 90 degrees will place the vector along
the Y axis with the positive-X points now at the same positions on the positive-Y axis, etc.
 The draw-angle will be 90 degrees (however expressed).
>      c. More generally, the angle is that of the positive-gradient vector (from the origin)
with the positive-X vector (from the origin), as measured from the positive-X vector rotating
toward (and through, if necessary) the positive-Y vector direction.

> (This is anti-clockwise in the standard geometric orientation.  When projected onto the
page, this appears to be clockwise because the origin tends to be in the upper left corner
and the positive-Y direction is downward, the positve-X direction is rightward.)

It is consistent throughout all AOO/LO/OOo versions. Unfortunately, it
is mathematically wrong oriented (thus, projected on the page,
anti-clockwise).

Thus, when just want to stay compatible and extend/correct the
definitions, defining it as integer, 0.1 degrees and mathematically
(non-projected to page) clockwise rotation would describe the current
behaviour.

Unfortunately this 'wrong' orientation is problematic. As long as it is
only locally used it can simply be mirrored. The problem comes up when
working with transformations; when receiving the transformation of an
graphic object and decomposing it to extract rotation, that rotation
will be mathematically correctly oriented. It has to be since else
linear combination of transformations would not work.

This is not in the environment of gradients, but in general all angles
in ODF have this problem (probably for historical reasons, the UIs use
the same wrong orientation). Our competitor does not have that error.

Isn't this correctable for all angles e.g. for ODF1.3 and can be handled
by a XML transformation ODF1.2 <-> ODF1.3 by mirroring all angle values
easily? If yes, Shouldn't we take the chance to clean this up in ODF1.3?

> I suspect this can be clarified easily in all of ODF 1.0 through ODF 1.2, since there
seems to be no conflict with implementations.  Conversions to and from other formats need
to be attentive to any difference in the reference orientation of axes and definition of the
angle.

>   3. Non-Integer Types and Values?
>
> Allowing fractional values and units in draw:angle seems to be problematic and it does
not directly deal with the integer type expression of 0.1-degree intervals.

> I agree that should be done by switching to SVG cases when available (and there should
be more alignment of that in ODF 1.3).

> This means that draw:angle should probably continue to be expressed in plain integers
with a clarification that the unit is 0.1-degrees.