incubator-ooo-dev mailing list archives

From Dave Fisher <dave2w...@comcast.net>
Subject Re: [DISCUSS] Proposed PMC Chair nomination process
Date Thu, 23 Aug 2012 18:41:04 GMT

On Aug 23, 2012, at 11:30 AM, Rob Weir wrote:

> On Thu, Aug 23, 2012 at 2:22 PM, Dennis E. Hamilton
> <dennis.hamilton@acm.org> wrote:
>> I suggest that the initial Project Management Committee (PMC) needs to be identified
before the election of a Chair from that body is undertaken.

> There is a bootstrapping issue with that suggestion.  The PMC does not
> exist until the ASF Board creates it.  And the Board has veto power
> over that list.  So all we have at this time, formally at least, is
> the PPMC.

No bootstrapping issue at all. The Charter Resolution consists of the PMC and the Chair. It
is typically moved forward by the Chair as well.

The Chair is a member of the PMC.

>> Also, this seems like a very good time to review, for the benefit of all here, what
the duties of PMC members are and, with respect to that, what the specific responsibilities
of the Chair are and what the special standing of the Chair is so its accountability can be
carried out.

> Indeed.  That is why my 2nd sentence was to point to a link that
> describes exactly this.

And after we review then we need to go into executive session on ooo-private. Even if there
is only one volunteer someone may have legitimate personal questions that they need to ask.

We also should take at least one week and not 72 hours.

Regards,
Dave