incubator-ooo-dev mailing list archives

From Rob Weir <robw...@apache.org>
Subject Re: Extension downloading problem
Date Fri, 24 Aug 2012 15:51:55 GMT
On Fri, Aug 24, 2012 at 11:18 AM, Dave Fisher <dave2wave@comcast.net> wrote:

> On Aug 24, 2012, at 8:00 AM, Dave Fisher wrote:

problems.  Today there was this report
A zip file filled with various folders containing all kinds of files is downloaded. Nothing
that looks like an installer. How do I install this extension? When a program is offered to
me in the shape of a zip file full of different files, I never know what to do with it, to
be honest."

(definitely IE in some versions, there may be others) rename the OpenOffice extensions silently
to type .zip.

 He then send me the following additional comment
in the shape of a zip file. Now I've renamed them both and they both snapped into being .oxt
files. Perhaps this trick should be mentioned on the Extensions "Introductory Page"? It must
be a problem for many users."

when available.  But in the meantime I think his suggestion of a mention of this problem on
the Extensions page is valid and worthwhile.

to zip seems to depend on the browser in use.  I know that some earlier version of IE did
this, without notification. When I get further information I'll post it to this thread.  Most
of the active members of this list will use a browser of choice rather than a default browser,
and will also update it, so won't be aware of this problem with some older browser.

>>> I just tried using ie8 to download Writer2epub along with a random sample of
other extensions. I can confirm that it does indeed change the extension to zip. I second
Rory's suggestion that a notice be put on the page to that effect along with instructions
to rename it to .oxt after download.

>> Has anyone inspected the MIME Type returned? If it is not a proper one for OXT then
it is possible that IE8 is doing detection of the type.

> I did the following:
>
> $ curl http://dl.dropbox.com/u/14712909/macro/w2e/writer2epub.oxt -D header > writer2epub.oxt
>
> Here is the header:
>
> $ more header
> HTTP/1.1 200 OK
> Server: nginx/1.0.14
> Date: Fri, 24 Aug 2012 15:15:24 GMT
> Connection: keep-alive
> content-length: 1372152
> x-robots-tag: noindex,nofollow
> accept-ranges: bytes
> etag: 4363n
> pragma: public
> cache-control: max-age=0
>
> So, IE8 for these users is set to ignore the file extensions and guess the file type
for the general type: application/octet-stream

And then presumably IE8 (or Windows) is doing some sniffing and finds
the magic bytes "PK" and treats it like a zip.

I wonder:  if the file is renamed to *.oxt , does the Windows shell
recognize it as an OO extension?  In other words, if double clicked,
what happens?

Also, Microsoft Office OOXML files (docx, pptx, etc.) are also ZIP's.
So if I.E. treats them correctly, then we should figure out what they
are doing differently.

-Rob