incubator-ooo-dev mailing list archives

From Rob Weir <robw...@apache.org>
Subject Re: [UPDATE SERVICE] activation of update service for OOo 3.1 and OOo 3.1.1
Date Fri, 03 Aug 2012 12:59:44 GMT
On Fri, Aug 3, 2012 at 3:51 AM, Oliver-Rainer Wittmann
<orwittmann@googlemail.com> wrote:
> Hi,

>>> in order to avoid that somebody has missed the stuff ongoing regarding
>>> the
>>> update service for OOo 3.1 and OOo 3.1.1:
>>> In another thread - see [1] - Rob asked for the update service for OOo
>>> 3.1 and
>>> OOo 3.1.1. Nobody objects so far. But this was somehow hidden in another
>>> thread.
>>> Thus, I am bringing it up to its own thread.
>>>
>>> I will start working on this task, if nobody objects.
>>>
>>> [1] http://markmail.org/message/3fwnjrk7isyt5wa4
>>>

>> No objections so far.
>> Thus, I will go ahead.
>>
>> First, I will ask Apache Infrastructure to establish the needed redirect
>> from
>> [2] to [3]. In the meanwhile I will create the corresponding XML document
>> for
>> this update service. I am planning to activate it after our Apache
>> OpenOffice
>> (incubating) 3.4.1 release.
>>
>> [2]
>> http://update32.services.openoffice.org/ProductUpdateService/check.Update
>> [3]
>> http://www.openoffice.org/projects/update32/ProductUpdateService/check.Update
>>

> I have submitted JIRA issue INFRA-5112 [1] requesting to establish the
> needed redirect. I am asking Apache Infrastructure to establish the redirect
> until 2012-08-15 in order to reach out our users of OOo 3.1 and OOo 3.1.1
> instance just in time with our planned AOO 3.4.1 release.

Why only until 2012-08-15?  Could we make this be permanent?

What I noticed is that one of the download sites -- openoffice.us.com
-- was still giving users OOO310m11 (Build:9399).   Although I
personally believe that site is doing bad things and confusing users,
I think it is best for the ecosystem if these users are notified about
the most-recent version of OpenOffice.  Not only existing installs of
OOo 3.1, but also ones that may happen today or tomorrow.
Unfortunately we cannot control this.  There will be OOo 3.1.0
installs in the future as well.

-Rob