incubator-ooo-dev mailing list archives

From Rob Weir <robw...@apache.org>
Subject Re: [UX] DISCUSS - Survey Tool Recommendation
Date Thu, 16 Aug 2012 13:36:57 GMT
On Thu, Aug 16, 2012 at 12:47 AM, Kevin Grignon
<kevingrignon.oo@gmail.com> wrote:
> Hello All,
>
> I've been looking at various survey tools and would like to recommend that
> we deploy the open source survey tool, *LimeSurvey.*
>
> LimeSurvey is a powerful, free and open source survey package appropriate
> for nonprofits looking for advanced survey logic and analysis features and
> who have substantial technology support. Its range of features includes
> full customization of survey look and feel, support for 40 different
> languages, piping, skip logic, a library of available survey questions and
> blast emailing. The tool has a large support community and is under active
> development.
>
> As far as technical requirements, this is an open source package that can
> be downloaded for free, installed on our own web server, and customized to
> suit our needs by a developer with knowledge of PHP/ MySQL. Although the
> tool itself is free, we will need to be prepared to bear the costs and
> effort for web hosting, and the time it takes to properly install,
> configure, customize and support this product on our own.
>
>    - Homepage: www.limesurvey.org
>    - Download: http://www.limesurvey.org/en/stable-release

It looks like there are also hosted versions available, free to play
with, but a per-response charge for real use:

http://www.limeservice.com/en/pricing

$200 for 5000 responses.

> Please review the tooling website for more information.
>
> If anyone has any other tools that we should consider, please share your
> thoughts.

I've installed and experimented with LimeWire before.  It has a lot of
features, so comes with a learning curve. But it does seem to be the
most flexible open source survey product out there.  If we think we'll
be doing multiple surveys over time, it could be a good choice.

Although LimeWire might be of interest and use to other Apache
projects and even to the ASF in general, trying to get it installed
and supported at Apache would be an uphill battle.  So I'd recommend
considering alternative approaches first, such as:

1) A volunteer hosts the survey outside of Apache at their existing domain name

2) A volunteer hosts the survey outside of Apache and some pays $15 or
so to get a better domain name for it, like www.oosurvey.net

3) A volunteer hosts the survey outside of Apache but we redirect the
subdomain "survey.openoffice.org" to point to the external server

4) Doing the survey via the hosted service

-Rob