incubator-ooo-dev mailing list archives

From Rob Weir <robw...@apache.org>
Subject Re: Fwd: [RESULT][VOTE] Release Apache OpenOffice 3.4.1 (incubating) RC2
Date Wed, 22 Aug 2012 20:32:13 GMT
On Wed, Aug 22, 2012 at 4:09 PM, Michal Hriň <michalhrin@aol.com> wrote:
> Dňa Wed, 22 Aug 2012 20:40:05 +0200 Rob Weir <robweir@apache.org> napísal:
>

>> On Wed, Aug 22, 2012 at 2:18 PM, Marcus (OOo) <marcus.mail@wtnet.de>
>> wrote:

We can now proceed

>>> I'm at home now and just found this mail which seems to be the latest in
>>> this thread and for the 3.4.1 release.
>>>
>>> Is everything uploaded, distributed and available for public download?
>>> I had no chance yet to check myself, so I'm simply asking. ;-)
>>>

>> We were waiting for the sync to finish, distributing the files to the
>> US and EU distribution servers:
>>
>> http://www.us.apache.org/dist/incubator/ooo/
>>
>> and
>>
>> http://www.eu.apache.org/dist/incubator/ooo/
>>
>> It looks that looks like it recently completed.
>>
>> Just need a go ahead from Roberto.
>>
>> If he says it is ready on their side can move our changes to staging
>> and do some quick testing to make sure we don't have any broken links.
>>
>> Actually, we can move to staging now if we want.  But just be careful
>> everyone not to publish yet.
>>
>> -Rob
>>

> Hi all,
>
> I got some questions maybe later, maybe stupid, maybe in wrong thread, but :
>
> 1) I hit today on [Stage] link today some times, is it problem ?

I don't understand.  You are getting errors on the staging site?

> 2) I need exact links for the files, and I don't know where the files will
> be.

The URL's will be on this page, once Marcus updates it:

http://www.openoffice.org/download/other.html

But the form will be like this:

http://sourceforge.net/projects/openofficeorg.mirror/files/localized/sk/3.4.1/Apache_OpenOffice_incubating_3.4.1_Win_x86_install_sk.exe/download

> It will be in SourceForce openoffice.mirror directory ?
> (i can't provide Apache links because of load, right ?)

Correct.  It will be a sourceforge link.

> 3) The whole ooo-site 'll be publised in the same time, so in this time have
> be all NL pages reworked ?

It will be sufficient if we have the updates for the main
openoffice.org/download site ready.  Any another NL pages that are
ready can be published at the same time.  But if others are not
updated until tomorrow or even next week, this is OK.

> 4) There wasn't been Slovak packages of AOO from 3.2.1, so lot of users use
> AOO 3.4 in Czech
> language and 3.3.0 too (3.3.0 has only language pack). The redirection of
> update service to /sk/download
> will not work right ?

We can have the OOo 3.2.1 update notifications lead users to the new
Slovak page for AOO 3..4.1

But we already have a Czech translation of AOO 3.4.1, so we would
point those running earlier Czech versions to the new Czech version.

So I don't know what the best way to inform Slovak speakers who are
using the Czech version of OpenOffice before.

But here is one idea:  You could add a message on the Czech homepage,
saying that the Slovak translation is now available:

http://www.openoffice.org/cs/

That way, when someone upgrades from Czech 3.3.0 or 3.4.0, and gets
sent to that page, they will hear about the Slovak translation.  Would
that work?

> Or is it used some geolocating service based on IPs  - from which country
> user access to pages(or can be)?

Two things:  new downloads and upgrade downloads.  Upgrade downloads
get dispatched based on the language of the user's existing OpenOffice
install.  New installs use the HTTP language headers, I think.  But I
don't know the details of that logic.

> 5) Google has indexed old SK page, (I slowly remove it) but is possibe force
> Google's robots to reindex page ?
> NOT now but one day.

I can include a URL to the new SK page in the release announcement.
That should encourage Google to recognize it and index it.

Regards,

-Rob

> Thanks for answers and sorry for bad timing.
> Regards,
> Michal Hriň
>

>>> Thanks
>>>
>>> Marcus