incubator-ooo-dev mailing list archives

From Rob Weir <robw...@apache.org>
Subject Re: BAD link
Date Thu, 23 Aug 2012 00:13:25 GMT
On Wed, Aug 22, 2012 at 7:58 PM, Marcus (OOo) <marcus.mail@wtnet.de> wrote:
> Am 08/23/2012 01:26 AM, schrieb drew:

>>> I've corrected the link and adjusted the text on the underlying webpage
>>> a bit.
>>>
>>> In the ".../download/sdk/" dir there are no release notes for a AOO
>>> release. Hm, maybe Juergen can tell us more (tomorrow).
>>>
>>> Marcus
>>

>> Thanks,
>>
>> I've finished checking the links for Mac, and Linux 64bit (deb and rpm)
>> they all seem fine.
>>
>> Rob checked windows, has anyone else already checked the 32 bit linux
>> stuff?
>

> I've tried to use a link checker. But it seems to fail with the special
> download URL that SourceForge is using. So, there is always a good link
> indicated, even when no download was started but a alternative webpage
> loaded. :-(
>
> http://linkchecker.submitexpress.com/
>
> Hm, there must be a tool to check for broken links. Does someone know of a
> better way or tool? IMHO too many link to check all manually.

I think link checker would only get the first link into SF, but not
the asynch download that comes 5 seconds later.  So it doesn't really
check for much.

I think of it like this:  # of errors in download process == # of
errors we put in - # of errors we find and fix

There is a lot we could do to lower the # of bugs we put it.
Automation is what we need. Right now the directory structure produced
by the build differs from the directory structure we have in the
download tree.  I think that is the source of the complexity that is
hurting us.  That, plus the fact that our download tree has an
irrational structure, more complicated than necessary.  If we can
reduce this disconnect between build and distribution, I think it
would help.

-Rob

> Marcus

SP3)