incubator-ooo-dev mailing list archives

From Rob Weir <robw...@apache.org>
Subject Re: [DISCUSS][VOTE]: Release Apache OpenOffice 3.4.1 (incubating), RC2
Date Wed, 15 Aug 2012 22:52:27 GMT
On Wed, Aug 15, 2012 at 5:45 PM, Dave Fisher <dave2wave@comcast.net> wrote:

> On Aug 15, 2012, at 2:22 PM, Dave Fisher wrote:
>
>> Is there a reason that the README in the source release is still pointing at http://wiki.openoffice.org/wiki/MacOSXBuildInstructions
for Mac Builds?

>> Minimally this then points to http://wiki.openoffice.org/wiki/AquaBuild this doesn't
seem exactly like what was used for 3.4.0?

>> Would someone check the Build instructions and then update to be very clear what
is current.

>> I am proceeding with my tests as if the prerequisites have not changed and that I
have them from my AOO 3.4 tests build.

> I am stuck and I am stopping. I am very unhappy with the instructions on the WIki page.
I needed help with 3.4 and now I need help with 3.4.1.

based on http://wiki.openoffice.org/wiki/MacOSXBuildInstructions

> BTW - Remember that SOURCE is the ONLY OFFICIAL RELEASE.

That is your opinion, expressed loudly;  it is not Apache or IPMC
policy.   We are officially voting on binaries as well and these are
being inspected and these will be part of the official release.  The
IPMC doc calls the source artifacts "canonical", but the same docs
talk about binaries being included in the official release as well.
In fact, it says of binary packages, "For some projects, this makes
sense. For others, it does not."  Obviously you have your own opinion
on this, but it is equally true that the vast majority of PPMC members
have a different opinion.

-Rob