incubator-ooo-dev mailing list archives

Site index · List index
Message view « Date » · « Thread »
Top « Date » · « Thread »
From Rob Weir <robw...@apache.org>
Subject Re: 3.4.1_release_blocker? [Bug 120481] Please have a look
Date Tue, 14 Aug 2012 16:12:49 GMT
On Tue, Aug 14, 2012 at 11:51 AM, J├╝rgen Schmidt
<jogischmidt@googlemail.com> wrote:
> On 8/14/12 2:51 PM, Rob Weir wrote:
>> On Tue, Aug 14, 2012 at 4:42 AM, FR web forum <oooforum@free.fr> wrote:
>>> Hello list,
>>>
>>> French user has open this report: https://issues.apache.org/ooo/show_bug.cgi?id=120481
>>>
>>> Unable to drag & drop column header from data sources beamer (F4) to Writer
document.
>>> This happen only with MacOS 10.8
>>>
>>
>> What I look for in a release blocker at this point:
>>
>> 1) Is the impact severe, i.e., data loss, blocks use of a major features, etc.
>>
>> 2) Will it impact many users?
>>
>> 3) Is there no adequate workaround that we can put in the release notes?
>>
>>
>> Again, there is no risk-free fix.  The fact that this bug was
>> introduced via an earlier fix proves that.
>>
>>
>> It is safe to assume that with more days of testing we will find more
>> bugs.  We could probably test for another 6 months and still find new
>> bugs.  That is the nature of complex software.  But the question is
>> not whether or not we fix this bug.  Of course we will.  The question
>> is between:
>>
>> A) Fix this bug later in 3.4.3 or in 3.5
>>
>> or
>>
>> B) Fix this bug in 3.4.1, and delay the delivery of this release,
>> which contains many other critical fixes for more severe issues.  Also
>> introduce further risks for 3.4.1 by changing more code.
>>
>> IMHO the decision between A and B should be based on impact, severity and risk.
>>
>> Does anyone have an opinion on the impact and severity?
>>
>
> I think as release manager I should have an opinion ;-)
>
> Ok to be more serious, we have analyzed the problem. Armin remembered
> the issue 117990 that we have integrated early in the 3.4.1 branch and
> that solved another serious problem with the clipboard in the calc
> application. This fix was tested and verified but as side effect we have
> now this new problem. It is definitely a regression to 3.4.
>
> Andre and I have analyzed the code and we have a potential fix that
> solves of course both problems. But we are not 100% sure if this fix is
> good enough or if it introduce new problems. As Rob mentioned every fix
> contains a risk to break something else.
>
> At the moment I am unsure but I tend to leave it out of 3.4.1.
>
> The question is how many users are affected by this problem or if the
> workaround via Insert -> Fields -> ... is ok for now. Reverting the fix
> for 117990 is no option because it is serious as well and probably more
> users are affected by this issue as by the new problem.
>
> For now I would propose that we continue to analyze the fix a little bit
> more and try to understand the code better. And when we have to rebuild
> for another critical show stopper, we will potentially integrate the fix
> for this problem as well if we feel more comfortable with the fix.
>

+1. Investigating something is risk free.  At least with software.
Not true in a chemistry lab...

> Juergen
>
>
>
>
>
>
>

Mime
View raw message