incubator-ooo-dev mailing list archives

From Rob Weir <robw...@apache.org>
Subject Re: What to say in AOO 3.4.1 release announcement about the ports? (BSD, Solaris, OS/2)?
Date Thu, 02 Aug 2012 00:12:25 GMT
On Wed, Aug 1, 2012 at 7:37 PM, drew <drew@baseanswers.com> wrote:
> On Wed, 2012-08-01 at 18:28 -0400, Rob Weir wrote:

>> > Hi Pedro,
>> >
>> > Then for BSD it should be enough to just point to the page you updated,
>> > yes?
>> >

>> IMHO, we should consolidate all the porting links onto that one page.
>> That way it gives one clear place to link to in the announcement, but
>> also a single place we can link to from other places in the future.
>> For example, we should probably eventually have a link to the porting
>> page from the download page.
>>
>> -Rob
>
> hmmm - well, I'm just getting around to looking at things for this
> evening.
>
> Looking at the page(s) now... *chuckling*..
>
> This might not be the right place for what I thought was the task - a
> list of existing known ports which are not part of the official AOO
> release regiment.
>
> The porting page and it's associated pages seem more about the act of
> creating a port, with
>
> http://www.openoffice.org/porting/porting_overview.html
>
> and
> http://www.openoffice.org/porting/porting_implement.html
>
> which starts off by pointing to this page:
> http://wiki.services.openoffice.org/wiki/Porting_Efforts
>
> and that offers links to places such as
> http://www.openoffice.org/udk/cpp/man/cpp_bridges.html
>

> So do we really want a page for listing existing non-official ports that
> are known, a simple information service for our users without and
> explicitly stating such, endorsing the work - or do we want a resource
> for those wanting to perform a port to a new platform - for the
> announcement(s) that is.

Yes. ;-)

Maybe the existing porting page remains as a developer-focused page?
It needs to be updated, of course, but maybe not as urgent.

Then we also need a user-facing page about existing ports.  Maybe that
could be a new page in the /download directory?

For the announcement the user-facing one would be the most appropriate, yes?

-Rob