incubator-ooo-dev mailing list archives

From Rob Weir <robw...@apache.org>
Subject Re: Registration and Update Services - What Will Be The Load?
Date Thu, 16 Aug 2012 01:53:07 GMT
On Wed, Aug 15, 2012 at 7:31 PM, Kay Schenk <kay.schenk@gmail.com> wrote:
> On Wed, Aug 15, 2012 at 4:04 PM, Rob Weir <robweir@apache.org> wrote:

>> d.s@daniel.shahaf.name>
>> +0200:

>> > uh oh...this should have been setup before  and Oliver said he requested
>> > this in the first post here.
>> >
>> > And you're now saying that all the previous ones have been reverted?
>> >
>> > I think we were OK until this last one, right? update32?
>> >
>> > I think the others should be re-established as they weren't causing
>> > problems, were they?
>> >
>> > The thing is unless we go back to the code for OOo 3.1, we don't know
>> what
>> > it's doing.
>> >
>> > When I asked about this when we had issues for OOo 3.0, I was told it was
>> > fixed in OOo 3.2, so maybe 3.1. has the same issues?

>> > Rob...update 30  is completely out of the question, and we simply can not
>> > do it, and reverted it within hours when I first requested it.
>> >

>> What is the issue with update 30?  The fact that it does a POST?  I
>> don't that would rule it out altogether.  But we would need to treat
>> it specially.  For example, we could redirect to an isolated server,
>> at Apache or outside, that is able/willing to handle it.  If we run it
>> for a month or two we should get the bulk of the upgrades.
>>
>> Or was there some other issue?
>>

> The Apache web server, of which AOO is a part, does not allow POSTs so when
> I had infra enable this and redirect the old update30 to the web server, it
> caused MANY errors in a very short period of time (about an hour) and Joe
> reverted it rather quickly.  THis was like back in early March or
> something when I was playing around. The update feed itself didn't even DO
> anything but redirect them to a URL (in theory) it was the POST in the code
> for OOo 3.0 that caused all the havoc. When I inquired about this on this
> list, I was told yes, this WAS the case for 3.0 but had been fixed with, I
> thought 3.2.
>
> Anyway, as far as I know, this is the only issue.
>
> I was pretty wary initially about running the feed through the web server
> but was told we should be fine (this after Joe reverted the update30 in
> March) -- and I think we have been for the most part. But, yes, we need
> another box with a web server that would accept POSTs to deal with this --
> 3.0, and it looks like 3.1.

OK.  That's the impression I had as well -- POST was disabled in
general on ASF servers.  We're not going to be able to change that.
But the traffic from permitted POSTs will be far less than the errors
and retries  generated from disallowed POSTs.   So if we can find a
volunteer to host this traffic on their website, then we could have
the redirects go there rather than to openoffice.org or staroffice.de.
  This would not need to be a host volunteering to do this forever.  I
think if we ran it for 2 months we'd get almost everyone, since the
upgrade checks occur once a week by default.

But we can discuss this more after AOO 3.4.1 is out.    No sense
tempting the OOo 3.1 users to upgrade to AOO 3.4.0 today and then send
them a notification AOO 3.4.1 a week later.  That would be annoying.

-Rob