incubator-ooo-dev mailing list archives

From Rob Weir <robw...@apache.org>
Subject Re: [DISCUSS] AOO Ready to Graduate
Date Sun, 19 Aug 2012 15:48:33 GMT
On Sat, Aug 18, 2012 at 2:43 AM, Andrea Pescetti <pescetti@apache.org> wrote:
> On 17/08/2012 Rob Weir wrote:
>>
>> We've had several prods from our mentors suggesting that we are ready
>> to graduate.
>

> I agree it would be good to do so, since it will automatically reduce
> complex and unclear terminology ("incubator", "podling") that has been
> misused outside the project and it will make governance easier.
>

>> I'd recommend everyone take a look at this timeline [2] for what the
>> graduation process looks like.  You can see it is three steps:
>> 1) Optional Community vote [3]
>> 2) Preparation of a Charter and Resolution [4]
>> 3) Vote by the IPMC to recommend the Charter/Resolution to the ASF Board.
>> 4) Approval by the ASF Board.
>

> If the Charter needs to contain complex statements about scope and mission
> of the project, it will take some time (but this is not the case, if I
> understand the the examples correctly).

It is not clear to me what the charter actually does.  What does it
mean organizationally?  Does it obligate or constrain the project in
any formal way?  Or is it just a convenient summary of the project's
focus?  For example, has anything bad ever happened to any Apache
project because their charter was too narrow (or too broad)?  If not I
would not worry too much about it.

> It also seems, from the links, that the project will need to elect a chair,
> and this would be quite time-consuming too.

If there is just a single nominee then this is easy.  If we have 2
nominees, we could have a 72-hour vote.  But if have more than two,
then we need to think about either a multi-stage voting process (run
off elections), or a transferable vote system.   But I don't this will
 take much time.  And it could be done in parallel with drafting the
charter.

Of course, if no one wants to be Chair, then this can take longer ;-)

> So I wouldn't be sure that we can have everything ready by the September
> Board meeting.

If we make it by then, great.  If not, then October is a fine month as well.

Another thing we need to do is determine the membership of the PMC.
This would likely be the current PPMC, minus those who signed up when
the podling started but then never actually got involved with the
project.   I assume we would also want to extend an invitation to any
Mentors who wish to continue with the project as PMC members.  But
that can be done in parallel as well.  This all gets wrapped into one
proposed Resolution: charter, PMC members and PMC Chair.

-Rob