incubator-ooo-dev mailing list archives

From Rob Weir <robw...@apache.org>
Subject Re: AOO "long-term support" ?
Date Sun, 26 Aug 2012 21:03:45 GMT
On Sun, Aug 26, 2012 at 3:51 PM, Fernando Cassia <fcassia@gmail.com> wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I wonder if the ´new management´ at AOO ;) has any plans with regards to
> ´long term support´ for AOO?.

We've discussed this topic previously.  You'll read more if you search
the list archives for "LTS".

IMHO the point of LTS is that someone can deploy and expect not to be
surprised by new bugs for a period of time.   They can expect to do
light maintenance, with patches, but the project will try hard to
avoid introducing any incompatibilities for that stream.

One hurdle we have currently is that we require a complete download
and install for revision.  We have no patch or incremental update
mechanism.  So maintenance is not quite what users would expect in an
LTS situation.

I think we need to resolve that issue before we can effectively make
any kind of LTS statements.

-Rob