incubator-ooo-dev mailing list archives

From sebb <seb...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: [ANNOUNCEMENT] Apache OpenOffice 3.4.1 (incubating) released
Date Fri, 24 Aug 2012 10:31:05 GMT
On 24 August 2012 09:20, Rory O'Farrell <ofarrwrk@iol.ie> wrote:
> On Thu, 23 Aug 2012 18:01:42 -0400
> "Maurice Howe" <maurice@stny.rr.com> wrote:
>
>> Got a warning msg that your product was unsafe, so I deleted the download.
>> Here's the msg.
> <snip>
>
> I have this morning scanned my Windows XP computer on which is installed yesterday's
release of AOO 3.4.1 using AVG Free edition 2012.0.2197 (this morning's update) at the most
detailed settings and it has received a clean bill of health.

> The question that might arise in connection with the original post is that of the filename/download
site; if it is from a legitimate (i.e. Apache controlled site) there should be no worries.

> It was in the past not unusual for new releases of OOo to give false positives on many
virus scanners - the hooks for online updating registered sometimes as poentialy unwanted
programs/possible trojans.

> As another poster (Dan?) pointed out, it is possible to check the Md5Sums of the downloaded
file against the MD5Sum list on the Apache site, to be certain that it is exactly the file
prepared and released by Apache.  If these sums check out then all should be well.

AIUI that's not possible to be *certain* that the file is identical [1].
Hashes are fine for checking that a download has not been
corrupted/truncated in transit, because the chance of a hash collision
in such a case is vanishingly small.

But they are not generally considered sufficiently robust to *prove*
that the download is what it appears to be.
It is theoretically possible to create two different downloads with
the same hash.

Obviously if the hash check fails, then there is a problem, but a
successful check does not provide 100% proof.

Checking the detached signature for the download is much more secure,
but is of course a bit harder to do.

[1] http://www.apache.org/dev/release-signing#secure-hash-algorithms