incubator-ooo-dev mailing list archives

From sebb <seb...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: proposed new directory structure for future releases
Date Fri, 24 Aug 2012 10:42:58 GMT
On 24 August 2012 10:08, J├╝rgen Schmidt <jogischmidt@gmail.com> wrote:
> On 8/23/12 11:37 PM, Kay Schenk wrote:

>> correct, and I think the schema that RGB currently proposes without the
>> "/stable" is what Juergen basically proposed if memory serves.
>> (I'm too lazy to go look for it. :/ )
>>

>>> I don't know if it's wanted by us or allowed by ASF:
>>>
>>> We could release Beta versions or RCs in a different dir than stable/.
>>>
>>> Then it would make sense to keep it. Otherwise you are right.
>>
>> Right now, since we are not releasing "betas" and I don't see this
>> happening in the future given the ASF definition of "release", we have
>> no need for a "/stable" vs anything else.
>
> more or less but with going back to my proposal I think Rob made a good
> proposal with some minimal but useful differentiation. The only thing I
> woudl change is src = source because we already have it ;-)
>
> /ooo/<VERSION>/source
> /ooo/<VERSION>/bin/<LANG>/
> /ooo/<VERSION>/bin/SDK/

It might be better to use "binaries".
This is often used by ASF projects.
It is plural because there are often multiple builds.

It also cannot be confused with bin = wastebin.
[In the US they use can == trashcan; the UK use bin == wastebin]

Now -src and -bin are fine as part of a file name, but might be
misinterpreted as a folder name.

For developers, /bin/ has very different connotations (/usr/bin etc),
but for end-users, they might be wary of downloading something that
comes from what might as well be called:

/ooo/<VERSION>/trash/
or
/ooo/<VERSION>/waste/

Just a thought.