incubator-ooo-dev mailing list archives

From Kevin Grignon <kevingrignon...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: [Discuss] Triage of Brainstorming
Date Mon, 27 Aug 2012 03:05:23 GMT
KG01 see comments inline.

On Aug 24, 2012, at 11:39 PM, drew <drew@baseanswers.com> wrote:

> On Fri, 2012-08-24 at 15:58 +0100, Rory O'Farrell wrote:
>> On Fri, 24 Aug 2012 07:49:02 -0700
>> Dave Fisher <dave2wave@comcast.net> wrote:

AOO 3.4.1, it will be necessary to do some triage work on the Brainstorming, so that the most
requested changes make their way onto the planning table for AOO 4.0.  Many of the suggestions
can be amalgamated, for example improved doc/docx, xls/xlsx etc support; within reason these
can all be amalgamated into "improved support for MS Office formats, current and legacy".
 Other suggestions are readily achievable by existing faciites in OpenOffice; such requests
might indicate need for better education of Users or more accessible documentation/tutorials.

prune it in the light of whatever choices are made for AOO 4.0; should we also register comments
against some of the already readily achievable functions, to give pointers to (say) the Forums
and/or tutorials which indicate how to do that function?

KG01 - Yes, tracing discussion and voting results to a list if
prioritized reqs is import. Furthermore, we need to then trace the
reqs to design explorations (including scenarios and storyboards with
mockups).

current nearly 300 suggestions [as of date of posting)

KG01 - We could bring our initial list of candidates to the upcoming
conference for further validation and prioritization.

>>> Not all of us have the time.

>>> I think that coming back to ooo-dev with "Top" ideas is appropriate.
>>
>> One of my concerns was that the multiple requests for similar features/support might
cause these to drop off the radar as their voting would be too fragmented.  Hence my suggestion
that we consider amalgamation of closely related suggestions; the coding for one specific
suggestion might easily expand to cover the coding necessary for a particular range.  Hence
the need for some form of triage to make best use of coding resources.

> Hi,
>
> Yes - I would agree, there will need to be some form of triage (call it
> moderation if you prefer).
>
> //drew

>>> FYI - The ASF Board has created a new TLP called Apache Steve which will expose
the Voting mechanism used by the ASF membership.