incubator-ooo-dev mailing list archives

From Guy Waterval <waterval....@gmail.com>
Subject Re: [User Documentation]Are there any plans in place or formal user documentation for AOO
Date Wed, 29 Aug 2012 20:50:59 GMT
Hi Rob,

2012/8/29 Rob Weir <robweir@apache.org>

> On Wed, Aug 29, 2012 at 2:40 PM, Keith N. McKenna
> <keith.mckenna@comcast.net> wrote:
> > Good Day All;
> >
> > Today I am going to venture into the breach and bring up a topic that in
> my
> > experience is most developers favorite profanity: i.e. User
> Documentation.
> > One of the major reasons I have used and promoted OpenOffice.org is its
> well
> > written and easily available user documentation. I see a planning wiki
> for
> > documentation with no activity since 2011.
> >
> > I also have gone through most of the archived mail to this list I could
> find
> > on this topic with no apparent consensus on what to do. I have also tried
> > the ODFAuthors website and mailing list. There appear to be some drafts o
> > chapters or a getting started guide but that is about all. The response
> from
> > the list was basically whatever you folks decide to do with them.
> >
> > My basic question is re there any plans for user docs or AOO and if so
> where
> > would the information be found? Although I am not a tech writer and have
> no
> > real experience in the publishing world, this is a area I believe that I
> > could be o some small help in. I have done document review before on both
> > software documentation and or internal corporate standards documents.
> >

> [...]
>
> Moving to DITA for the documentation would be even cleaner, since DITA
> has built-in support for this kind of conditional processing.

Don't take it bad, but such a solution brings also a lot of difficulties.
- How many people are actually able to work with this format?
- How many volunteers could be ready to learn it before producing something?
- How many people are ready to coach the newbies who are learning to work
with DITA? I had a look on it, it's not so easy and I doubt it's possible
to learn it without a little external coaching.
It could be perhaps a good solution in the long term, but also a serious
barrier before producing the first line of documentation, and you have to
repeat all this learning phase with all the new volunteers in the future ...
Only my point of vue.

A+
--
gw