incubator-ooo-dev mailing list archives

From Alexandro Colorado <...@oooes.org>
Subject Re: Python
Date Thu, 02 Aug 2012 12:48:37 GMT
On 8/2/12, Alexandro Colorado <jza@oooes.org> wrote:
> The issue was written on the UDK site explaining this issue.
> http://www.openoffice.org/udk/python/python-bridge.html#faq
>
> I already have python installed on my system, why does the office ship
> another python ?
>
> Python itself is shipped with OpenOffice.org, because
>  python must have been compiled with the same C++ compiler as the
> office itself on all platforms that use the gcc compiler (e.g. Linux,
> BSD, etc.).
>  On most Unix platforms, no python shared libraries are available by
> default (though some distributions do so). This would have meant, that
> python UNO components cannot be executed within the office process.
>  Python component developers need a guaranteed minimum platform which
> they can rely on.
>  Recognition of a python runtime at the installation system would have
> been an extremely difficult and time consuming task becausemany
> different python installation schemes exist.
> Packagers of OpenOffice.org will create their own packages, for
> example redhat or debian, without Python. The standard distribution
> must run on low end systems.
>
> Can I use system's python installation ?
>  See  here.
> (http://www.openoffice.org/udk/python/python-bridge.html#replacing)
>
> Basically is a lack of support, some dev hours could permanently fix
> this issue. But someone needs to do it.
>

> On 8/2/12, Andre Fischer <awf.aoo@gmail.com> wrote:
>> Hi all,
>>
>> Can anybody remind me of why we bring our own Python?
>> Are the reasons still valid after the update to 2.7.3?
>>
>> I just updated main/external_deps.lst to load the tarball from
>> python.org and had almost chosen the windows binary instead of the
>> source tarball.  I am now wondering why we don't have a build
>> prerequisite on a pre-installed, standard Python.
>>
>> Thanks,
>> Andre
>>

> --
> Alexandro Colorado
> OpenOffice.org Español
> http://es.openoffice.org

By the way, I think most distros already make this adjustment using
the system python from the openoffice.org-python...deb/rpm.
http://rpmfind.net/linux/rpm2html/search.php?query=openoffice.org-pyuno

The package just include the libpyuno and objects, but no binary in itself.

--
Alexandro Colorado
OpenOffice.org Español