incubator-ooo-dev mailing list archives

From Ross Gardler <rgard...@opendirective.com>
Subject Re: [DISCUSS] Proposed PMC Chair nomination process
Date Fri, 24 Aug 2012 09:29:03 GMT
On 23 August 2012 19:49, Dave Fisher <dave2wave@comcast.net> wrote:

> On Aug 23, 2012, at 11:41 AM, Rob Weir wrote:

>>> It appears the IPMC was able to do this for their own Chair.

>>> See  my response to Dennis on  this.  There is no PMC here, only a PPMC.
>>>

>> Or maybe think of it this way;  in the end we're deciding on a
>> graduation resolution that has three main items:  a scope, a PMC and a
>> PMC Chair. This is a single resolution.   Whose votes are binding on
>> whether to send this resolution to the IPMC?   The proposed PMC you
>> think?  That would be circular.  Five of us could then just nominate
>> ourselves as the PMC, vote a Chair and send that along.  IMHO, we
>> should base this in the ASF governance, which is PPMC appointed by
>> IPMC, created by the ASF Board, which are elected by the ASF Members.
>> Creating a new voting body out of nothing does not seem ideal.
>
> Now I understand the confusion. The PPMC is responsible for all three of the main items.
Then the IPMC is responsible. Then the Board.

> The Chair coming from the PMC is not the same as the PMC electing the Chair.

Exactly. Don't get too caught up in whose votes are binding and whose
are not. Votes are for conflict resolution not decision making. The
PPMC, even though it doesn't formally have binding votes on anything
is still the body that is expected to make the decisions. The
formality (which is a requirement of law) will, almost without
exception, follow the wishes of the PPMC in matters such as this.

Really, the order of creating the PPMC, PMC roster and the resolution
isn't really important. What is important is that the community unites
around the final resolution.

Ross