incubator-ooo-dev mailing list archives

From Kay Schenk <kay.sch...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: Linux install instructions
Date Wed, 15 Aug 2012 17:03:01 GMT
On Wed, Aug 15, 2012 at 8:42 AM, Risto Jääskeläinen
<rjaaskel@saunalahti.fi>wrote:

> Hello!
> First thing first: it is quite well that there are some guides for
> installation Apache OpenOffice to different linux distros.
> But as command line is ancient way of communicate with computer and only
> few PC users today like it, second thing is to have prober normal way of
> install and uninstall AOO in linux too. Is there any other way than have it
> in repository and use Synaptic or other such tools?  And there are not
> allowed any  incompatibility with other programs like LibreOffice.

I understand! And yet, command line rarely fails me. :)

We probably could write some installation instructions for the more popular
distros that would show users how to install from the deb or rpm packs
USING whatever their GUI package manager is. I've done that as well instead
of command line. It would take some time to research this.

> It may be my angularity with command line etc. but I notice difficulties
> when I try to keep LibreOffice and AOO in same Linux Mint 13.

Well it IS a hassle to try to do this I would imagine.

I guess what we need to discuss/decide is do we really want to tell people
to uninstall LO before installing AOO?  It would be nice if someone could
investigate and report findings on what their experience is with
maintaining both etc. to include in the installation instructions.

> Greedings
> Risto
>

> RGB ES [rgb.mldc@gmail.com] kirjoitti:
>
>> 2012/8/15 lou ql <louqingle@gmail.com>:

>> 0-on-rhel-centos-6-3-5-8-and-**fedora-17-16/<http://www.tecmint.com/install-apache-openoffice-3-4-0-on-rhel-centos-6-3-5-8-and-fedora-17-16/>

>> package

>> > This one is applicable for most linux platforms, but it's not so easy as
>> > the above one to be followed by a non-experienced linux user.
>> >

>> You also have this guide on the forums:
>>
>> http://forum.openoffice.org/**en/forum/viewtopic.php?f=74&t=**50119<http://forum.openoffice.org/en/forum/viewtopic.php?f=74&t=50119>
>>
>> Regards
>> Ricardo

MzK

"Never express yourself more clearly than you are able to think."
                                                                        --
Niels Bohr