incubator-ooo-dev mailing list archives

From Kay Schenk <kay.sch...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: Need to Revisit RAT Excludes and Wildcards
Date Thu, 23 Aug 2012 00:02:15 GMT
On Wed, Aug 22, 2012 at 6:10 AM, Oliver-Rainer Wittmann <
orwittmann@googlemail.com> wrote:

> Hi,

>> Hi,
>>
>> On 21.08.2012 00:05, Dave Fisher wrote:
>>
>>> Hi Folks,
>>>
>>> We are really getting ahead of ourselves.
>>>
>>> We have a legitimate -1 IPMC vote on our release, it might get changed -
>>> Marvin asked for confirmation that the IPMC votes are based only on the
>>> official SOURCE release.
>>>
>>> I looked again at the rat-excludes and we should look into a small
>>> handful of
>>> binary files that slip through. Most are "test" files and should be OK,
>>> but
>>> there are a small number that are not. If we have a plan to remove them
>>> and/or
>>> show that they are unused and harmless it may be that Marvin will be
>>> convinced
>>> to change his vote.
>>>
>>> Someone should inspect these wildcards in the source tree
>>> **/*.dbf
>>> **/*.dbt
>>> **/*.jar
>>> **/*.zip
>>> **/*.class
>>> **/*.dll
>>> **/*.exe
>>> **/*.mdb
>>>

>> Now, I will have a look at the specific *.zip files which can be found in
>> our
>> source.
>>

> I have found the following ZIP files:
> - group 1:
> ./main/icc/makefiles.zip
> This ZIP file contains certain makefiles for the purpose to build the
> source code of ICC with our build system. These makefiles were part of
> Oracle's SGA and their license header had been already adapted accordingly
> by Andrew Rist.
> Proposed solution: exclude this ZIP explicitly from the RAT scan (full
> path named in the rat-excludes file) together with the above documentation
> of the IP review.
>
> - group 2:
> ./main/scripting/workben/data/**share_scripts.zip
> ./main/scripting/workben/data/**user_scripts.zip
> These ZIP files contain some more or less empty .java, .class, .xml and
> .class files. I did not find any references to these files. The ZIP files
> were checked into the repository with the comment "Add some jsuite tests
> for the Scripting Framework". Thus, I assume that they are only for testing
> purposes.
> ./main/scripting/workben/ is also not part of our build. I tried to build
> it, but the build failed.
> Proposed solution: remove these ZIP files. (May be the complete folder
> ./main/scripting/workben/ can be removed.)
>
> - group 3:
> ./main/sd/res/buttons/glas-**blue.zip
> ./main/sd/res/buttons/glas-**green.zip
> ./main/sd/res/buttons/glas-**red.zip
> ./main/sd/res/buttons/round-**gorilla.zip
> ./main/sd/res/buttons/round-**white.zip
> ./main/sd/res/buttons/simple.**zip
> ./main/sd/res/buttons/square-**blue.zip
> ./main/sd/res/buttons/square-**gray.zip
> [...]

Great work Oliver! Really! Since I'm not a direct coder for the project, I
was really wondering about these files used by "test", and if they couldn't
be moved somewhere and brought in as needed, build flags or some other
way.  Anyway, good job and I think this will serve us very well in the
future.

MzK

"As a child my family's menu consisted of two choices:
    take it or leave it. "
                                   -- Buddy Hackett