incubator-ooo-dev mailing list archives

From Kay Schenk <kay.sch...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: What to say in AOO 3.4.1 release announcement about the ports? (BSD, Solaris, OS/2)?
Date Wed, 01 Aug 2012 15:47:17 GMT
On Tue, Jul 31, 2012 at 2:04 PM, drew <drew@baseanswers.com> wrote:

> On Tue, 2012-07-31 at 14:36 -0400, Rob Weir wrote:
> > I'm drafting the 3.4.1 release announcement blog post.  I have a
> > bullet list where I highlight what is in 3.4.1.  I list what platforms
> > are supported, mention the Windows 8 compatibility improvements,  and
> > then follow with this bullet item:
> >
> > "Community members are also working on BSD, Solaris and OS/2 ports,
> > with plans to release these outside of Apache."
> >

> Howdy Rob,
>
> > Is this accurate and worth saying?
>
> Yes IIRC and yes IMO.
>

> > Would it make sense to also
> > include links for each of these ports, where the reader can go for
> > more information?
>
> I would think a better return if instead of putting direct links for
> each, create a fixed address (wiki page?) for 'other ports' (or more
> appropriate for a title).

Hi Drew--

We have a page -- actually a former "project" at --

 http://www.openoffice.org/porting/

that needs a LOT of cleanup.

Any volunteers to take the lead on cleaning this up and just highlighting
what we're dealing with now? FreeBSD, OS/2, and Solaris?

> Link to that from the announcement/blog and would make that a precedent
> for future announcements.
>

> > Although these are not Apache releases, they are part of the close
> > ecosystem, with developers working directly in our project to support
> > these ports.  So I think there is some logic to mentioning them in the
> > release announcement.  But work that happens entirely outside of the
> > project, like portable applications versions, would not get a mention.
>
> I would disagree, somewhat, in that personal preference would be to
> include the 2 or 3 portable 'wrapper' distributors as this has seemed to
> be of interest to quite a few folks in the past.
>
> Just my .02
>
> //drew
> >
> > Does this seem fair and appropriate?
> >
> > If we agree to do this, I'll need a link for each of BSD, Solaris and
> > OS/2, for more information.
> >
> > The alternative would be to not mention the ports at all.
> >
> > Regards,
> >
> > -Rob

MzK

"I'm just a normal jerk who happens to make music.
 As long as my brain and fingers work, I'm cool."
                              -- Eddie Van Halen