incubator-ooo-dev mailing list archives

From Kay Schenk <kay.sch...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: icon issues with 3.4.x on Linux with KDE 4
Date Fri, 03 Aug 2012 23:18:42 GMT
On Fri, Aug 3, 2012 at 3:51 PM, Ariel Constenla-Haile <arielch@apache.org>wrote:

> Hi Ricardo,
>
> On Fri, Aug 3, 2012 at 7:38 PM, RGB ES <rgb.mldc@gmail.com> wrote:
> >> It was Philipp Lohmann, at it's at
> >> http://hg.services.openoffice.org/cws/kde4enable/
> >>

> >> Regards
> >
> > Is this kde4 integration the same used by openSUSE on their LibO
> > version? Because that "integration" is not good: it offers the kde
> > file picker, yes, but the "look and feel" it provides is completely
> > wrong and historically it caused a lot of trouble: if you look at
> > openSUSE's forums you'll see many threads about problems with their
> > LibO that were solver by uninstalling the KDE4 "integration"
> > package...
>
> this CWS was more about making it possible to build with --enable-kde4
> on Hamburg (I don't know what system they used to build, but it didn't
> have KDE4 libraries, IIRC what Philipp wrote once). The code in that
> CWS may not differ too much from what we have here. AOO does not build
> with KDE integration because the vcl plugin [simplifying, this plugin
> paints the user interface making it look like a KDE application] is
> rather broken (last time I built it, it had several painting issues).

-- from my own perspective, I can't imagine this would be  a driving
feature for us. But maybe others think differently. With the first
installation I ever did of OOo (tarballs not rpm by the way), I added the
components to my personal menu using kmenuedit (found the icons and used
them). What I was suggesting was something simpler and might work.  Adding
wherever we decide to install to $KDEDIRS. As long as we stick with the
directory structure that kde expects --

http://techbase.kde.org/KDE_System_Administration/KDE_Filesystem_Hierarchy

we may be OK.

Right now, openSUSE (menus) seem to honor changes I make with kmenuedit --
this is 12.1. I think there WAS a time this was not the case which made
things rather maddening to say the least.

> So, unless someone with deep knowledge of QT4/KDE4 joins here, it's
> very likely that AOO will remain a Gnome2 application on Linux (yes,
> we also need someone with Gtk3/Gnome3 knowledge).

Well I have no deep knowledge, but I will experiment and report the
results.

> Regards

MzK

"I'm just a normal jerk who happens to make music.
 As long as my brain and fingers work, I'm cool."
                              -- Eddie Van Halen