incubator-ooo-dev mailing list archives

From Kay Schenk <kay.sch...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: Ubuntu package for building AOO
Date Tue, 07 Aug 2012 17:02:56 GMT
On Tue, Aug 7, 2012 at 12:55 AM, Andre Fischer <awf.aoo@gmail.com> wrote:

> On 06.08.2012 22:47, Kay Schenk wrote:
>
>> On Mon, Aug 6, 2012 at 8:15 AM, Rob Weir <robweir@apache.org> wrote:

>>> link broadly outside of the dev list,because of bandwidth
>>> considerations.
>>>
>>> Maybe after AOO 3.4.1 is released we could host something like this on
>>> SourceForge or Apache Extras/Google Code?
>>>
>>> -Rob
>>>
>>>  Andre

>> Of course, I would still like to make a case for linux windows
>> environments
>> vs OSes, but I know Ubuntu now uses "unity" and I know nothing about that.
>>

> I don't think that this does depend on the window manager/system.  I
> mostly depends on the packaging mechanism (deb vs rpm) and the selection
> and versions of packages used by a distribution.

um...well you are kind of right I think. I don't want to drag this out with
my views if you are making progress on a Ubuntu packaging. I am just
recalling the "classic" approach to some of the Linux situations. yes,
there is the "deb" vs "rpm" thing, of course, but complete integration of
AOO with the user's environment (those problems with having ti just "show
up" in the user's application selection menu complete with associated icons
and mime-type ineegration) depends to a great extent on the window
environment of the user.

This being said, most Linux users would just love to have a package that
clearly says -- "for Ubuntu", or "for Fedora", or "for openSuSE". So I
applaud your efforts. You are certainly motivating *me* to explore
openSUSE's build system, :)

Ubuntu just happens to be the Linux distribution that I use.  But since it
> is based on Debian, the build-aoo package may work with other Debianish
> distributions as well.
>
> I intended this more to be proof-of-concept than a production-ready
> package.

OK, but don't stop there if you feel so inclined! :)

>> We have a LOT of interest from Ubuntu folks so this is a good move.

MzK

"I'm just a normal jerk who happens to make music.
 As long as my brain and fingers work, I'm cool."
                              -- Eddie Van Halen