incubator-ooo-dev mailing list archives

From Kay Schenk <kay.sch...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: OO Sold on eBay
Date Sun, 12 Aug 2012 21:50:41 GMT
On Sun, Aug 12, 2012 at 10:49 AM, Rob Weir <robweir@apache.org> wrote:

> On Sun, Aug 12, 2012 at 12:38 PM, Max Merbald <max.merbald@gmx.de> wrote:
> > Hi,
> >
> > I'd say it's not very fair because probably not everyone knows OOO is
> > available for free. It's kind of weird that someone is trying to make
> money
> > with something which is available for free.
> >

> I wonder... is there anything that prevents one of us from offering
> the same thing on eBay, but at a near-zero price?  For example, would
> it be within eBay policy to have an auction for "instructions for
> downloading OpenOffice"?  Give all the same marketing plugs for
> features, etc., but set it as a "Buy Now" price of 1-cent or
> something.
>
> Some users want a CD, because of bandwidth limitations.  But the cost
> of information, in this case, should be nearly zero.
>
> -Rob

You might want to check out seller requirements first...

 http://pages.ebay.com/help/sell/questions/sell-requirements.html

I would think if we're willing to "do" this -- and set this up somehow, the
answer is "no" unless ASF precludes this, which it might.

> > Max
> >

> > Am 12.08.2012 18:19, schrieb Kay Schenk:

> http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Office-for-Home-and-Student-2007-2010-2012-For-Microsoft-Windows-XP-Vista-7-/110922521399?pt=UK_Computing_Software_Software_SR&hash=item19d37f5b37#ht_8329wt_1026
> >>>
> >> This has come up before...there is no issue with selling ANY copy of
> >> OpenOffice (old or new) as long as the vendor complies with licensing or
> >> trademark requirements.
> >>
> >> This bit at the bottom --
> >>
> >> *Items contained on this CD are under the terms of the GNU License, the
> >> GNU
> >> Lesser General Public Licences (LPGL) or the Mozilla Public Licence*
> >>
> >> well let's hope it's right.
> >>
> >> see also, our local Distribution FAQ--
> >>
> >> http://www.openoffice.org/distribution/

MzK

"Never express yourself more clearly than you are able to think."
                                                                        --
Niels Bohr