incubator-ooo-dev mailing list archives

From Kay Schenk <kay.sch...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: BAD link
Date Thu, 23 Aug 2012 00:26:33 GMT
On Wed, Aug 22, 2012 at 5:13 PM, Rob Weir <robweir@apache.org> wrote:

> On Wed, Aug 22, 2012 at 7:58 PM, Marcus (OOo) <marcus.mail@wtnet.de>
> wrote:

> >> Thanks,
> >>
> >> I've finished checking the links for Mac, and Linux 64bit (deb and rpm)
> >> they all seem fine.
> >>
> >> Rob checked windows, has anyone else already checked the 32 bit linux
> >> stuff?
> >

> > I've tried to use a link checker. But it seems to fail with the special
> > download URL that SourceForge is using. So, there is always a good link
> > indicated, even when no download was started but a alternative webpage
> > loaded. :-(
> >
> > http://linkchecker.submitexpress.com/
> >
> > Hm, there must be a tool to check for broken links. Does someone know of
> > better way or tool? IMHO too many link to check all manually.
> >

> I think link checker would only get the first link into SF, but not
> the asynch download that comes 5 seconds later.  So it doesn't really
> check for much.

OK

> I think of it like this:  # of errors in download process == # of
> errors we put in - # of errors we find and fix
>
> There is a lot we could do to lower the # of bugs we put it.
> Automation is what we need. Right now the directory structure produced
> by the build differs from the directory structure we have in the
> download tree.  I think that is the source of the complexity that is
> hurting us.  That, plus the fact that our download tree has an
> irrational structure, more complicated than necessary.  If we can
> reduce this disconnect between build and distribution, I think it
> would help.

possibly...and yet many of them are OK. But I do know Juergen, our tireless
release manager, has been arguing for a different structure for a while,
and that's fine. It was just given what was already setup in SF with 3.3
that was my original concern. And, the fact that this request was in "new"
territory if you will for the 3.4 release that I personally was very
nervous about. How would this effect what they needed to do, etc.
Basically, once the packs get loaded, we're into a what , maybe a 48 hour
test period? If something went really wrong, well...

But...this said about 3.4 and now 3.4.1, Marcus and I have have cleaned up
a LOT of this script.  Dealing with a directory structure change won't be
the issue it would have been in May.

So, I think we're good with suggestions for the future.

> -Rob
>

> > Marcus

> downloaded
XP SP3)

a few websites
> have

Twitter:

> http://majorgeeks.com/Apache_OpenOffice.org_For_Windows_d3461.html

 If someone else can
this done quickly

 The Italian
> and

MzK

"As a child my family's menu consisted of two choices:
    take it or leave it. "
                                   -- Buddy Hackett