incubator-ooo-dev mailing list archives

From Kay Schenk <kay.sch...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: Linux install instructions
Date Wed, 15 Aug 2012 21:56:11 GMT
On Wed, Aug 15, 2012 at 10:11 AM, RGB ES <rgb.mldc@gmail.com> wrote:

> 2012/8/15 Kay Schenk <kay.schenk@gmail.com>:
> > On Wed, Aug 15, 2012 at 8:42 AM, Risto Jääskeläinen
> > <rjaaskel@saunalahti.fi>wrote:
> >
> >> Hello!
> >> First thing first: it is quite well that there are some guides for
> >> installation Apache OpenOffice to different linux distros.
> >> But as command line is ancient way of communicate with computer and only
> >> few PC users today like it, second thing is to have prober normal way of
> >> install and uninstall AOO in linux too. Is there any other way than
> have it
> >> in repository and use Synaptic or other such tools?  And there are not
> >> allowed any  incompatibility with other programs like LibreOffice.
> >>

> > I understand! And yet, command line rarely fails me. :)
> >
> > We probably could write some installation instructions for the more
> popular
> > distros that would show users how to install from the deb or rpm packs
> > USING whatever their GUI package manager is. I've done that as well
> instead
> > of command line. It would take some time to research this.
> >

> >> It may be my angularity with command line etc. but I notice difficulties
> >> when I try to keep LibreOffice and AOO in same Linux Mint 13.
> >>

> > Well it IS a hassle to try to do this I would imagine.
> >
> > I guess what we need to discuss/decide is do we really want to tell
> people
> > to uninstall LO before installing AOO?  It would be nice if someone could
> > investigate and report findings on what their experience is with
> > maintaining both etc. to include in the installation instructions.
>
> The problem is distro specific: on openSUSE you can have the distro
> LibO + AOO + official LibO together without problems, but on ubuntu
> and its derivatives, fedora and possibly others you'll have problems
> with the distro's LibO. The message should be:
>
> In general, AOO can be installed side by side with LibreOffice (both
> suites use different directories). But for some Linux distributions it
> is not that easy: when they switched from (the heavily modified
> version of) OOo to the (also modified version of) LibO they packaged
> their versions of LibO in a way that cause conflicts with OOo or AOO.
> Notice that these problems are completely artificial and came from
> some decisions made during packaging: on other distros like openSUSE,
> this does not happen.
>
> Regards
> Ricardo

ah, I see...well I am one of the lucky ones I guess. :)

OK, I just put a new page out there --

http://www.openoffice.org/download/common/linux_instructions.html

which is just the linux instructions toward the bottom of the currently
linked Installation Guide.

My hope is that we can augment this new page with more useful information
like

a) the link Rob provided at the beginning of this thread with some
appropriate caption
b) links to other independently packaged AOO for various distros (we had
information for ubuntu at one point -- I don't know what it is now)
c) a link to theforums guide
d) provide additional information like how to use the un-archived AOO
provided packs and use your distro's GUI install to setup a local
repository and install that way (I've done this for opensuse with Yast and
it works nicely)

e) and so on...

So, have at it -- anyone can send in edits for this and since this is
*DRAFT* at this point and not linked from anything, no problems with
applying commits to get this where we want it.

MzK

"Never express yourself more clearly than you are able to think."
                                                                        --
Niels Bohr