incubator-ooo-dev mailing list archives

From Kay Schenk <kay.sch...@gmail.com>
Subject icon issues with 3.4.x on Linux with KDE 4
Date Thu, 02 Aug 2012 21:14:49 GMT
OK, here's the short story -- NOT a show stopper but this should be covered
in Installation Guide (or a wiki article created to be referenced) until a
good way to solve this -- not yet determined.

This applies to openSUSE 11.4 on up and probably other *nixes now using
KDE4 instead of KDE3.

The 3.4.x installs and I think also 3.3 sets things up in KDE as if kde3
were the default -- icons etc end up in /opt/kde3/share/icons/...

Once the desktop-integration is run for SuSE, the applications themselves
are recognized because they get installed in a default /bin directory, but
the icons are NOT automatically attached to the executables in the graphic
menues because the default location of icons in kde4 is
"kde4_user_install_area"/share/icons vs /opt/kde3/share/icons/ where the
desktop-integration now puts them...

In my case "kde4_user_install_area" is /usr.

What this means is the icons are THERE, but you must manually make changes
via the kde menuediting system -- kdemenuedit-- to make them show up
correctly.

Further thoughts... is it time to revisit the desktop-integration business?
Can these made more generic based on something else for Linux -- window
managers vs OSes?

MzK

"I'm just a normal jerk who happens to make music.
 As long as my brain and fingers work, I'm cool."
                              -- Eddie Van Halen