incubator-ooo-dev mailing list archives

From Kay Schenk <kay.sch...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: Linux install instructions
Date Tue, 14 Aug 2012 16:22:56 GMT
On Tue, Aug 14, 2012 at 8:42 AM, Andre Fischer <awf.aoo@gmail.com> wrote:

> On 14.08.2012 15:05, Rob Weir wrote:
>
>> I just noticed this new article.  It seems to have a complete
>> description, including uninstalling LO and blocking future updates:
>>
>> http://www.tecmint.com/**install-apache-openoffice-3-4-**
>> 0-on-rhel-centos-6-3-5-8-and-**fedora-17-16/<http://www.tecmint.com/install-apache-openoffice-3-4-0-on-rhel-centos-6-3-5-8-and-fedora-17-16/>
>>
>> Does anyone see any technical errors?  If not we might want to link to it.

 well, not all Linux distros use "yum"...this is a RedHat gui for package
management. So, as general instructions, hmmmm...

The current install guide --

 http://www.openoffice.org/download/common/instructions.html#linux

tells about "disabling" what LO may have setup, but not how to completely
"uninstall" it. [I was attempting to be "kind" with this approach].

I think most popular linux distros are inherently either RPM or DEB package
management. It would be pretty easy to include the appropriate command line
instructions to actually "deinstall" LO if we wanted to go that route.

But, we could certainly link to this ... not a problem

> I did not read everything in detail but what I read looks good.
> Except maybe step 4:  the disabling of automatic updates of openoffice
> from the package repository.
> Should we ever setup our own repository (see below) or add our packages to
> the official repositories then the changes had to be undone.
> But who would remember these changes to /etc/yum.conf?
>
> -Andre
>
> PS: I have been playing around some more with metapackages (deb and rpm)
> and are now able to setup a local repository for Ubuntu 12.04 and Fedora 17
> and install Apache OpenOffice from them.   This is pretty simple.  If we
> would try to setup an "official" Apache package repository we would have
> more problems with integrating download mirrors.

YAY! Great news, Andre... I'm still hoepful I can get to eh openSUSE build
service soonish. So far, just some preliminary investigation.

MzK

"Never express yourself more clearly than you are able to think."
                                                                        --
Niels Bohr