incubator-ooo-dev mailing list archives

From Ying Zhang <tldy...@gmail.com>
Subject Propose to support import Shape in VML format from MS OOXML file
Date Mon, 27 Aug 2012 05:30:06 GMT
Hi, All

Shape is a very important feature for writer, but AOO does not support
import Shape defined in OOXML file of docx file especially, and which will
be lost after import the docx file in AOO.
I propose to support import shape in VML format in docx file into AOO and
put them as candidates for next release and for your comments.
https://cwiki.apache.org/confluence/display/OOOUSERS/AOO+4.0+Release+Planning

Background:
Shape, as well as Text Box as a kind of shape, described in OOXML as VML
format and DrawingML format:
1> In Word 2007, the VML format is used as only language for shape
description; and in Word 2010, it use both VML format and DrawingML format
as shape's markup language, which means, for one shape in docx file created
in word 2010, we can get the shape's description both in VML format and
DrawingML format;
2> In Powerpoint 2007/2010 and Excel 2007/2010, the shape use the DrawingML
as markup language, and for some other objects, like: Commnets, etc. are
described in VML format. And AOO support shapes in pptx file and xlsx file
in DrawingML format, and partial of VML format parsing like xlsx comments.

Based on the information, we plan to support Word 2007/2010 shape's import
in VML format first to improve the interoperability with MS Office
2007/2010, and the scope including:
1> Support the load-show for the VML shape, including textbox, from docx
file;
2> Support to import more shape's property, like: background, border, font,
etc;