incubator-ooo-dev mailing list archives

From RGB ES <rgb.m...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: [INFO][WEBSITE]: improved usability with simplified Urls to reach some of our services
Date Wed, 15 Aug 2012 14:31:23 GMT
2012/8/15 Dave Fisher <dave2wave@comcast.net>:

> On Aug 14, 2012, at 4:41 PM, Andrea Pescetti wrote:

>> I would consider this to be normal behavior. Authentication is probably managed through
a cookie that is sent back to the originating site (the originating subdomain) only. So user.services.openoffice.org
has no way to know that you are logged in at forum.openoffice.org, unless we completely rewrite
all URLs in the form user.services.openoffice.org/SOMETHING to forum.openoffice.org/SOMETHING
.

>>> Not only confusing, but also problematic: if you log-in on the new
>>> address and then click on an old link that cross reference to another
>>> post you'll arrive to a page on which you are not logged in any
>>> more!
>>
>> If we have hardcoded links that are not rewritten (i.e., if pages on forum.openoffice.org
contain "internal" links that reference user.services.openoffice.org explicitly), then it
would be better to use an "external" redirect as explained above.

> Currently both user.services.openoffice.org and forum.openoffice.org are directed to
the same IP by DNS.

> Also wiki.services.openoffice.org and wiki.openoffice.org are directed to the same IP
by DNS.

> What is different is that for the wiki the Apache Traffic Server is in front and it does
do the necessary redirection to wiki.openoffice.org.

> Should we do something similar for the user forums?

The internal cross references to existing posts on the forums are in
the order of thousands,(1) so yes, we need some kind of redirection
redirection.

(1) It's a common practice to point to solved threads when the
question was already answered (which is also a really common
situation). If you add to this all the times we say (with links)
"please, read the survival guide", "see here to know how to attach a
file / mark a thread as solved / report an issue"... you get the
picture. PhpBB do not offer by default a way to use relative links: it
can be introduced, of course, but that will not solve the already
existing bulk of absolute links.

Regards
Ricardo