incubator-ooo-dev mailing list archives

From Fernando Cassia <fcas...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: Do we *really* support Windows 2000?
Date Mon, 06 Aug 2012 21:56:42 GMT
On Mon, Aug 6, 2012 at 4:24 PM, Rob Weir <robweir@apache.org> wrote:
> Unless anyone is actually testing with Windows 2000, and we're willing
> to treat failures in Windows 2000 as ship blocking issues, I'd
> recommend that we stop listing it as a supported platform.

Latest Oracle JRE to support Win2K is Java 6 update 30 or thereabouts.
Then Oracle stopped supporting it. So even the latest Java6 update
will NOT install on Win2K. (it will run,however, I hammered it into my
Win2K VM)

Java7 does not support Win2k. :-(

I personally think win2k was the best windows ever, due to its low
kernel footprint and low system requirements, which makes it specially
well suited to run virtualized....  (nt to mention embedded).

I really think the win32 API is good enough to allow most devs to
support "win2k onwards" like some FOSS projects do (ie Nullsoft´s
Winamp, MPlayer for Windows, etc)... however most follow MSFT and
their compilers, so eventually they run into dependencies that makes
supporting older releases impossible :-(

Oh well, I can dream with an AOO built with OpenWatcom
(www.openwatcom.org) some day, not to depend on Microsoft´s VC
runtime... . ;)

Back to reality, I guess nothing of the above will happen...
FC