incubator-ooo-dev mailing list archives

From Fernando Cassia <fcas...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: 3.4.1 Crashes on MacOS 10.7.4
Date Sat, 25 Aug 2012 15:30:50 GMT
On Sat, Aug 25, 2012 at 7:18 AM, Rony G. Flatscher (Apache)
<rony@apache.org> wrote:
>   * Problem at hand, some Java installation on Mac, which causes problems to one person
so far.
>     Shooting in the dark and pointing to untested Javas for MacOSX is not a solution,
but adds to
>     the grief. So, as long as there is no correct error/problem description, please do
not point to
>     "solutions" that are none. Java on MacOSX has been *very* special from the day that
Apple
>     tweaked it to get it into its UI and operating system the way Apple deemed to be
the "correct"
>     way. Until Sun/Oracle has not completely implemented all aspects of that special
Apple Java
>     support, and tested it and made a 32-bit version available to it, I regard any "solution"
>     pointing to OpenJDK as adding confusion and problems to the table.
>
> And a question ad MacOSX port of AOO:

Dear Rony Fletcher,

The OP asked for suggestions, I pointed to the Oracle official Java7
JRE for Mac OS X (which should be the Java of choice for OS X users
going forward).

Then I realized that Oracle´s Java JRE is 64-bit only, so I offered as
an alternative a link to download a 32-bit build of OpenJDK.

OpenJDK, as you are surely aware, is the underlying code of the
"official" Java from Oracle (that´s why Oracle made OpenJDK the
reference implementation of Java7).

Thus, OpenJDK is field-tested by hundreds of thousands of users
world-wide, and if there´s a bug, the more users that test it, the
better, as the bugfixes get added not only to the OpenJDK code base
but also to the freeware binaries that Oracle provider for download
both from Oracle.com and Java.com.

So, I tried to help the OP in good faith, assuming that a newer Java
has a better chance of having bugs fixed than Apple´s outdated (and on
the way out) Java6 port.

If you continue lecturing me on what is appropiate or not appropiate
to suggest to users to solve their problems, I will have no choice but
to leave this mailing list so that enlightened users like yourself can
point to the "right answers".

I apologize, then, for trying to help.

FULL STOP.

FC