incubator-ooo-dev mailing list archives

From Dave Fisher <dave2w...@comcast.net>
Subject Re: [UPDATE SERVICE] dynamic approach [was: Re: [UPDATE SERVICE] activation of update service for OOo 3.1 and OOo 3.1.1]
Date Tue, 14 Aug 2012 18:52:08 GMT

On Aug 14, 2012, at 11:43 AM, Rob Weir wrote:

> On Tue, Aug 14, 2012 at 2:24 PM, Dave Fisher <dave2wave@comcast.net> wrote:

Update

>>> Yes, and traffic is a key factor here. With potentially hundreds of millions
of clients hitting the servers, the biggest problem is not re-implementing the update service
as a web service, but serving it efficiently. And indeed I agree that staticizing the results
somehow would be good to do, since we have a relatively low number of possible answers with
respect to the number of requests.

>> Oliver requested removal of update32 from DNS on INFRA-5112 and now Infra is requesting
PPMC agreement.

>> Is now a time to discuss cleaning up all of the staroffice urls here:
>>
>> update.services               CNAME     sd-web4.staroffice.de.
>> update23.services             CNAME     sd-web2.staroffice.de.
>> update24.services             CNAME     sd-web2.staroffice.de.
>> update30.services             CNAME     sd-web2.staroffice.de.
>> update31.services             CNAME     sd-web2.staroffice.de.
>> update32.services             CNAME     www.openoffice.org.
>> update33.services             CNAME     sd-web2.staroffice.de.
>> update34.services             CNAME     www.openoffice.org.
>> update35.services             CNAME     www.openoffice.org.
>> update36.services             CNAME     www.openoffice.org.
>> update38.services             CNAME     www.openoffice.org.
>>
>> update32 is the proposed change in the JIRA issue.
>>
>> update33 is the added removal.
>>
>> What about update, update23, update24, update30, update31?
>>
>> Should we do anything now as well?
>>

> I suppose returning errors from *.openoffice.org is no worse than
> returning errors from *.staroffice.de.  And if we do that we can
> handle these URL's more gracefully in the future if we want to.

It might be nicer to return a 404 rather than timing out on a non-responsive ip address.

Oliver or Kay will need to confirm what will happen.

Regards,
Dave