incubator-ooo-dev mailing list archives

From Dave Fisher <dave2w...@comcast.net>
Subject Re: 27MB odt file in svn
Date Wed, 29 Aug 2012 20:26:49 GMT

On Aug 29, 2012, at 11:24 AM, Kay Schenk wrote:

> On 08/29/2012 10:51 AM, Rob Weir wrote:

>>> Agreed.

>>> Agreed.

>>> My personal opinion is no.  I believe that the use case for downloading and
>>> building the source release is different from the use case for cloning the
>>> SVN repository.  I would expect the source release to be used for building
>>> AOO, maybe do a simple test to verify that building was successful, and then
>>> delete the source code.
>>>

>> OK.  That is a useful distinction:  building versus developing.

I think Building versus QA - both are developing.

>>> If I want to start developing then I would choose SVN.  Complex tests would
>>> help me to avoid new errors.
>>>
>>> I don't see the need for complex tests when my goal is not developing. Lack
>>> of trust that we did not run the tests on the released code?
>>>
>>> But, of course I can be wrong (and often are :-).
>>>

>> If we follow that logic, then we might still store the test data and
>> test code in SVN, but in its own tree, e.g., /ooo/test/trunk.
>>
>> This also preserves the option of us having a "test source" artifact
>> in a future release, if we wanted.
>>
>> -Rob
>
> +1, this seems like a good compromise
>
> I don' think the "test" cases should be in the same tree as source.

Agreed.

> No use overloading developers who simply want to build and make modifications.

Source is required as an Open Source release. (we should all understand that.)

QA / test is "optional" but quite important. It should be separate and we can include a "QA"
package as one of our convenience binaries during a release.

Regards,
Dave