incubator-ooo-dev mailing list archives

From Dave Fisher <dave2w...@comcast.net>
Subject Re: [VOTE][DISCUSS] Apache OpenOffice Community Graduation Vote
Date Sun, 19 Aug 2012 23:11:00 GMT

On Aug 19, 2012, at 3:58 PM, Rob Weir wrote:

> On Sun, Aug 19, 2012 at 4:43 PM, Ross Gardler
> <rgardler@opendirective.com> wrote:
>> I'm unable to vote either way until:
>>
>> A) a PMC chair has been identified by the community
>>
>> B) a resolution for the TLP is prepared which will define what we are
>> voting on
>>

> Those points will be addressed in the proposed Resolution we send to
> the IPMC.  What we're having right now is the preliminary "community
> graduation vote", which according this diagram from the IPMC's "Guide
> to Successful Graduation" occurs *before* the charter is created:
>
> http://incubator.apache.org/guides/graduation.html#toplevel
>
> Not that this same guide says of this community vote, "It is unlikely
> that IPMC members will vote to approve graduation unless the Mentors
> and community positively express their readiness for graduation. "  So
> I am slightly concerned that you do not feel able to vote in this
> ballot, which merely expresses (per the graduation guidelines) our
> readiness for graduation.

"Community Graduation Vote

"A community needs to be willing to govern itself before it can become a top level project.
A good way to demonstrate this is through a free VOTE (by the community) on the graduation
proposal.

"This VOTE is not a requirement but is recommended. It is unlikely that IPMC members will
vote to approve graduation unless the Mentors and community positively express their readiness
for graduation. It is wise to copy the incubator general list when the vote is proposed."

I think that "the graduation proposal" is often understood to be the Charter and therefore
(1) and (2) are swapped in current, undocumented process, but I could be wrong.

Regards,
Dave