incubator-ooo-dev mailing list archives

From Dave Fisher <dave2w...@comcast.net>
Subject Re: Extension downloading problem
Date Fri, 24 Aug 2012 16:06:00 GMT

On Aug 24, 2012, at 8:51 AM, Rob Weir wrote:

> On Fri, Aug 24, 2012 at 11:18 AM, Dave Fisher <dave2wave@comcast.net> wrote:

Apache

problems.  Today there was this report
A zip file filled with various folders containing all kinds of files is downloaded. Nothing
that looks like an installer. How do I install this extension? When a program is offered to
me in the shape of a zip file full of different files, I never know what to do with it, to
be honest."

(definitely IE in some versions, there may be others) rename the OpenOffice extensions silently
to type .zip.

 He then send me the following additional comment
arrived in the shape of a zip file. Now I've renamed them both and they both snapped into
being .oxt files. Perhaps this trick should be mentioned on the Extensions "Introductory Page"?
It must be a problem for many users."

detail when available.  But in the meantime I think his suggestion of a mention of this problem
on the Extensions page is valid and worthwhile.

change to zip seems to depend on the browser in use.  I know that some earlier version of
IE did this, without notification. When I get further information I'll post it to this thread.
 Most of the active members of this list will use a browser of choice rather than a default
browser, and will also update it, so won't be aware of this problem with some older browser.

of other extensions. I can confirm that it does indeed change the extension to zip. I second
Rory's suggestion that a notice be put on the page to that effect along with instructions
to rename it to .oxt after download.

>>> Has anyone inspected the MIME Type returned? If it is not a proper one for OXT
then it is possible that IE8 is doing detection of the type.

>> I did the following:
>>
>> $ curl http://dl.dropbox.com/u/14712909/macro/w2e/writer2epub.oxt -D header >
writer2epub.oxt

>> Here is the header:
>>
>> $ more header
>> HTTP/1.1 200 OK
>> Server: nginx/1.0.14
>> Date: Fri, 24 Aug 2012 15:15:24 GMT
>> Connection: keep-alive
>> content-length: 1372152
>> x-robots-tag: noindex,nofollow
>> accept-ranges: bytes
>> etag: 4363n
>> pragma: public
>> cache-control: max-age=0
>>
>> So, IE8 for these users is set to ignore the file extensions and guess the file type
for the general type: application/octet-stream

> And then presumably IE8 (or Windows) is doing some sniffing and finds
> the magic bytes "PK" and treats it like a zip.
>
> I wonder:  if the file is renamed to *.oxt , does the Windows shell
> recognize it as an OO extension?  In other words, if double clicked,
> what happens?
>

> Also, Microsoft Office OOXML files (docx, pptx, etc.) are also ZIP's.
> So if I.E. treats them correctly, then we should figure out what they
> are doing differently.

First it is important to see if this is a fresh AOO install. If so all IE8 windows may need
to be shutdown before IE8 recognizes AOO extensions properly.

I would not at all be surprised if the MSIE file type sniffing knows how to detect all of
the MS Office document types correctly w/o registration. IIRC it did so in IE3. Back then
(I'm not sure now.) IE3 was disrespectful of the web server and would make multiple requests
for the file until it determined the type.

HTH,
Dave