incubator-ooo-dev mailing list archives

From Dave Fisher <dave2w...@comcast.net>
Subject Re: build guide on download page?
Date Thu, 16 Aug 2012 22:36:44 GMT

On Aug 16, 2012, at 3:07 PM, Kay Schenk wrote:

> On 08/16/2012 12:57 PM, Marcus (OOo) wrote:
>> Am 08/16/2012 06:34 PM, schrieb Kay Schenk:
>>> I think it might be a good idea to include a link to build information on
>>> the download page.
>>>
>>> We could probably put this right under the heading for the source
>>> section...
>>>
>>> http://www.openoffice.org/download/other.html#tested-sdk
>>>
>>> Given the recent discussion on the [VOTE] thread for 3.4.1, it would be
>>> great if we could get the build instructions better integrated in *one*
>>> place and we can add this link to the source download section.
>>>
>>> Comments? Volunteers?
>>
>> Good idea. We just need to decide which webpage to link to.
>>
>> I've seen in another thread that Dave had some problems to build AOO. It
>> seems we have (at least) 2 webpages that describe how to build on your
>> own. So ...
>>
>> Marcus
>>

> Right, so here is a question/idea.
>
> Andre pointed Dave to this wiki page --
>
> http://wiki.openoffice.org/wiki/Documentation/Building_Guide_AOO
>
> we also have a bunch of build flags for each environment listed on:
>
> https://cwiki.apache.org/confluence/display/OOOUSERS/Development+Snapshot+Builds#DevelopmentSnapshotBuilds-AOO3.4.1
>
> Should we either 1) incorporate the build flags on Building_Guide_AOO page
>
> or 2) link to them from the Building_Guide_AOO page

Link to them - the one's used on the builds include some choices that the various builders
have made which don't exactly match the instructions on the various guides. For example, J├╝rgen
has put downloaded prerequisites.

These are good examples.

> Also, I will change the link on the source page in the project site to go to Building_Guide_AOO
instead of the one that is there now.

> Rob placed a message on the old Building Guide page, but perhaps it will be overlooked.

There are four pages in the wiki linked to from the README.

    Windows:
        http://wiki.services.openoffice.org/wiki/Documentation/Building_Guide/Building_on_Windows
    Linux:
        http://wiki.services.openoffice.org/wiki/Documentation/Building_Guide/Building_on_Linux
    Mac OS X:
        http://wiki.services.openoffice.org/wiki/MacOSXBuildInstructions
    Solaris:
        http://wiki.services.openoffice.org/wiki/Documentation/Building_Guide/Building_on_Solaris

If these are no longer current then each should have a prominent link to the correct page:

http://wiki.openoffice.org/wiki/Documentation/Building_Guide_AOO.

The README is at https://svn.apache.org/repos/asf/incubator/ooo/trunk/main/README

There are also build instructions in there, so that needs some cleanup.

> Long story short, why don't we plan on putting a link to
> http://wiki.openoffice.org/wiki/Documentation/Building_Guide_AOO
>
> at the top of source section in other.html and deal with build flags separately...

Yes, agreed. But link to the development builds from the Building_Guide_AOO.

A reference to all of the build flags would help too.

Thanks,
Dave