incubator-ooo-dev mailing list archives

From Dave Fisher <dave2w...@comcast.net>
Subject Re: [DISCUSS][VOTE]: Release Apache OpenOffice 3.4.1 (incubating), RC2
Date Wed, 15 Aug 2012 22:50:08 GMT

at http://wiki.openoffice.org/wiki/MacOSXBuildInstructions for Mac Builds?

doesn't seem exactly like what was used for 3.4.0?

that I have them from my AOO 3.4 tests build.

>>> I am stuck and I am stopping. I am very unhappy with the instructions on the
WIki page. I needed help with 3.4 and now I need help with 3.4.1.

the Wiki based on http://wiki.openoffice.org/wiki/MacOSXBuildInstructions

>>> BTW - Remember that SOURCE is the ONLY OFFICIAL RELEASE.
>>
>> - but I thought that as part of accepting this project ASF was saying
>> they were open to change.. am I just wrong on that - cause folks keep
>> saying this as if it is a FACT and I thought it was going to be up to
>> this project to decide whether binaries are official, or not.
>>
>> That is what I thought when I cast my non-binding vote to create this
>> project at ASF - specifically that it was recognized as needing this
>> type of differentiation from earlier projects.
>
> Binary artifacts are fine, they are just considered to be "unofficial convenience artifacts".

Also this is actually a good distinction and an evolution as it gives possible sanction to
stuff like:

(LEGAL-144) Request for permission for CloudStack to distribute secondary convenience builds
containing libvirt-java (LGPL)

> The ASF's mission is software for the public good. That means that users must be able
to see the source and be able to build it for themselves. They must be able to inspect the
source to see that it is unhindered.

> So, the IP must be clear and transparently so. This is what an IPMC and ASF Member must
measure their vote on.

> Sorry, I'm a bit cranky right now. My cpan disappeared while trying to assure that I
had the now required LWP::UserAgent. No one tested the new download_external_dependencies.pl
properly.

> My real message is that the project needs to clean up the build instructions so that
special knowledge and/or help is not a prerequisite.