incubator-ooo-dev mailing list archives

From "Marcus (OOo)" <marcus.m...@wtnet.de>
Subject Re: svn commit: r1377138 - /incubator/ooo/ooo-site/trunk/content/development/releases/3.4.1.html
Date Fri, 31 Aug 2012 20:39:13 GMT
Am 08/31/2012 11:58 AM, schrieb Andreas Säger:
> Am 31.08.2012 00:01, Marcus (OOo) wrote:
>>>
>>> So, to recap: the best version of Java we could mention as a workaround
>>> (after saying that Java 7 is supported and more secure, of course) is
>>> "jre-6u23-windows-i586.exe" as found on
>>> http://www.oracle.com/technetwork/java/javasebusiness/downloads/java-archive-downloads-javase6-419409.html#jre-6u23-oth-JPR
>>>

>>> right?
>>
>> But then we should write a bit more text with another paragraph to point
>> explicitely to this specific version when the user needs it. Then the
>> users can choose themselves:
>>
>> a) The most recent JRE 6 if they look for security.
>> b) JRE 6u23 if they need the AOO Base compatibility.
>>
>>> That one is older than the versions that both I (6.32) and Marcus (6.x
>>> current) had put on that page, but since people will go to that page
>>> expecting to find a workaround I'd prefer to mention a version that can
>>> be a workaround for multiple issues (Java not found, Java operations
>>> slow in Base and so on). Andreas in
>>> http://markmail.org/message/w6x6e4dlzgwtfyd7 mentions that 6.22 works,
>>> but if 6.23 is fine too I'd list the newer one.
>>
>> +1
>>
>> So, when this is our consensus I will update the webpage on the weekend.
>>
>> Marcus
>>

> Hi,
>
> Please bear with me. I created some Oracle account to access their
> binary attic and went throug a testing parcour on my 32 bit system where
> I found out that _something_ must have changed between OOo 3.3 and AOO 3.4:
>
> JRE version Linux i586 (Ubuntu 10.4, AOO 3.4)
> 6.0.22 good /which is what I used to use with OOo 3.3
> 6.0.23 good /don't know about OOo 3.3
> 6.0.24 good /used to be bad with OOo 3.3
> 6.0.24(open-jdk) good /used to be bad with OOo 3.3
> 6.0.35(latest) good /used to be bad with OOo 3.3
> 7.0.4 bad
>

> This is the result for my 64 bit Linux machine:
> JRE version Linux x64 (Ubuntu 10.4, AOO 3.4.1)
> 6.0.24(open-jdk) good
> 6.0.35 good
> 7.x bad
>
> So the issue has a clear red line between JRE6 and JRE7.

Thanks a lot for you testing effort. With this information I will adjust
the text like the follwing:

[...]
Apache OpenOffice 3.4.0 and 3.4.1 support Java 7, which is the
recommended configuration; but (especially on 64-bit Windows) you might
receive warnings about the Java version being defective. In that case,
download and install [the most current JRE 6 version | link]. Make sure
you get the "Windows x86 Offline (32-bit)" file. Then configure
OpenOffice to use it at "Tools - Options - OpenOffice.org - Java". See
[this forum topic | link] for more information.
[...]

With this everybody should be happy, right?

Marcus