incubator-ooo-dev mailing list archives

From "Marcus (OOo)" <marcus.m...@wtnet.de>
Subject Re: svn commit: r1377138 - /incubator/ooo/ooo-site/trunk/content/development/releases/3.4.1.html
Date Thu, 30 Aug 2012 22:01:18 GMT
Am 08/30/2012 09:09 AM, schrieb Andrea Pescetti:
> On 29/08/2012 Andreas S├Ąger wrote:
>> Then extract some old version of Java6 (<= revision 23), point the
>> office to it and try again. It's many times faster.
>
> So, to recap: the best version of Java we could mention as a workaround
> (after saying that Java 7 is supported and more secure, of course) is
> "jre-6u23-windows-i586.exe" as found on
> http://www.oracle.com/technetwork/java/javasebusiness/downloads/java-archive-downloads-javase6-419409.html#jre-6u23-oth-JPR
>
> right?

But then we should write a bit more text with another paragraph to point
explicitely to this specific version when the user needs it. Then the
users can choose themselves:

a) The most recent JRE 6 if they look for security.
b) JRE 6u23 if they need the AOO Base compatibility.

> That one is older than the versions that both I (6.32) and Marcus (6.x
> current) had put on that page, but since people will go to that page
> expecting to find a workaround I'd prefer to mention a version that can
> be a workaround for multiple issues (Java not found, Java operations
> slow in Base and so on). Andreas in
> http://markmail.org/message/w6x6e4dlzgwtfyd7 mentions that 6.22 works,
> but if 6.23 is fine too I'd list the newer one.

+1

So, when this is our consensus I will update the webpage on the weekend.

Marcus