incubator-ooo-dev mailing list archives

From Andre Fischer <awf....@gmail.com>
Subject Re: 27MB odt file in svn
Date Wed, 29 Aug 2012 15:29:49 GMT
On 29.08.2012 16:02, Rob Weir wrote:
> On Wed, Aug 29, 2012 at 9:52 AM, Andre Fischer <awf.aoo@gmail.com> wrote:
>> Hi,
>>
>> I just saw that we have now two new binary files in the test/ module.
>>
>> main/test/testgui/data/svt/complex.ods has a size of 9 424 385 Bytes and
>> main/test/testgui/data/svt/complex.odt has a size of 27 175 936 Bytes.
>>
>> I wonder if SVN is really the best place for files that large.
>>
>> I also don't think that these files should be part of the source release.
>> But what else would have to be removed that depends on these files?
>>
>> Any thoughts?
>>

> Something to keep in mind is that we'll probably end up with a large
> number of test documents, 200+ MB.  Not all of them will be large.
> But if we want to have good test coverage then we'll need test
> documents to cover all areas, for ODF, MS Binaries and OOXML.  So this
> will grow, over time, to a large test set.
>
> This leads to four questions:
>
> 1) Should we be testing large/complex documents?
>
> I think the answer is "yes".

Agreed.

> 2) Should such test documents be in SVN?
>
> I think they should.

Agreed.

> 3) Should these documents be in the same source tree with the rest of
> the code that is downloaded by default for a build?
>
> Maybe not.  Unless they are needed for a smoke test that should be run
> by every developer.  But if not, maybe they should be stored in its
> own tree, like ooo/test/trunk or something like that.
>
> 4) Should these documents be included in the source distribution?
>
> Probably depends on the answer to question 3.  Maybe, maybe not.  Or
> maybe we have a separate source distribution artifact only for
> test-related files?

My personal opinion is no.  I believe that the use case for downloading
and building the source release is different from the use case for
cloning the SVN repository.  I would expect the source release to be
used for building AOO, maybe do a simple test to verify that building
was successful, and then delete the source code.

If I want to start developing then I would choose SVN.  Complex tests
would help me to avoid new errors.

I don't see the need for complex tests when my goal is not developing.
Lack of trust that we did not run the tests on the released code?

But, of course I can be wrong (and often are :-).

-Andre