incubator-ooo-dev mailing list archives

From Herbert Duerr <...@apache.org>
Subject Re: Building OpenOffice with Visual Studio 2010
Date Tue, 28 Aug 2012 11:19:28 GMT
On 28.08.2012 11:28, Andre Fischer wrote:
> On 28.08.2012 10:51, Ian Harvey wrote:
>> I have been experimenting with building OpenOffice (trunk) with Visual
>> Studio 2010.  I have made some progress, but clearly more work remains.
>> Is there an appropriate place to document/share/seek advice on progress
>> to date within the projects' infrastructure? Perhaps an issue in
>> Bugzilla?
>
> Very cool.
>
> An issue in Bugzilla would be good for tracking the progress.  For
> questions (and hopefully answers) ooo-dev is the right place.  Maybe a
> wiki page for documentation.

+1

>> Navigating the build system has been challenging.  Pointers to
>> information to highlight how the build system works (so that any changes
>> to accomodate VS2010 I make don't work contrary to the intent of its
>> designers) would be appreciated.
>
> I doubt that there is up-to-date information written down in the wiki.

http://wiki.openoffice.org/wiki/Documentation/Building_Guide/Building_on_Windows
is always a good start to get acquainted with the current status quo.

> But please ask questions here on ooo-dev.

+1

>> The use of stlport by the Windows build causes some of the issues that I
>> have encountered, perhaps through ignorance on my part about how stlport
>> should be used.  Is the intention to continue using stlport, or should I
>> investigate excising stlport from a hypothetical VS2010 build?
>
> We would like to drop stlport but I think we are not there yet.  I think
> Herbert can say more about that.

Dropping stlport would have a lot of benefits, e.g. we could use the
system provided libraries for e.g. ICU or graphite. The next major
release AOO 4.0 would be a great opportunity for doing this as C++ based
extensions would become incompatible.

Herbert