incubator-ooo-dev mailing list archives

From Issac Goldstand <is...@volo-net.com>
Subject Re: Open-office downloading site - FLV player advertisement
Date Tue, 28 Aug 2012 08:19:42 GMT
On 8/27/2012 9:32 PM, Fernando Cassia wrote:
> On Mon, Aug 27, 2012 at 12:25 PM, Issac Goldstand <issac@volo-net.com>wrote:
>
>> Maybe I'm missing something, but how is trying to police 3rd party
>> (Google) ads on a 3rd party (SF) distribution link a real concern of
>> this PPMC?
>>
>> Adverts (and the downloads to go along with this) have been popular on
>> massive download portals for years, and will be for years to come.
>>
> You have to admit, however, that including large green "download" buttons
> in the middle of an advert banner, and knowing that such ad is displayed
> while the end user is waiting for the Sourceforge.net download to begin, is
> misleading to say the least...
>
> I think a simple SF.net policy of asking advertisers not to include such
> imagery on its banners would suffice to eliminate all criticism and user
> confusion....
>
> FC

You're missing the point.  1) It's not an SF.net policy; it's a Google
policy, since they are serving ads to SF.net  2) SF.net and Google are
earning too much income from these banners to remove them - especially
because 3) the confusion is exactly the point; it's got extremely high
click rate and it's what makes that commercial ecosystem tick.  Besides,
4) Google policy won't allow a direct download link from a click - in
all of these scenarios there's another landing page with a download
button (AFAIK, auto-download is not allowed), and that download page
can't look like SF.net

So yes, users will be confused, download the wrong thing - heck a clever
advertiser would bundle some of this software with a real openoffice
install, too (appropriately branded or re-branded to avoid TM
infringement) - but this isn't, and shouldn't, be the concern of the PPMC.

   Issac