incubator-ooo-dev mailing list archives

From Issac Goldstand <is...@volo-net.com>
Subject Re: Open-office downloading site - FLV player advertisement
Date Mon, 27 Aug 2012 15:25:31 GMT
Maybe I'm missing something, but how is trying to police 3rd party
(Google) ads on a 3rd party (SF) distribution link a real concern of
this PPMC?

Adverts (and the downloads to go along with this) have been popular on
massive download portals for years, and will be for years to come.
They're usually guaranteed to be virus/spyware-free because the
advertising networks, like Google in this case, have strict policies on
what software can be advertised like this - at least for the major
players in the Electronic Software Distribution industry.  And if
they're really not legit, you can bet they're playing cat-and-mouse with
the AV vendors, too.  And at the end of the day, there's too much money
on the line for all of the players involved for this kind of ads to be
completely cut, unless we gave up leveraging SF's distribution network,
which we really probably don't want to do, although I'd be happy to be
corrected if someone from infra disagrees.

  Issac